Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
... The Build Comes To An End
Mounting Radions and Vortechs

I have never had a tank with no lid before - even in our cichlid breeding tanks we had glass lids. Plus my Wife is really not a fan of topless tanks so lighting choice was a huge decision as the units my Wife like are the T5/MH or high end LED's that go end to end over the tank and look similar to a hood. It was by chance I stumbled on a tank by d2mini that finally sold her on the pendant style fittings, although she hated the Kessil's for some reason.

I already had a MP10wES on hand so I was fairly confident with the XR15w Pro's over a RSR250, and still being able to have a SPS dominant tank. However, after ordering the lights we changed to the RSR350 so I am thinking on my feet atm. I went with the RMS mounts as I didn’t want the hassle of cables from the roof and it gives me the ability to move the lights based on the aquascape.

The mounts are fairly straight forward, simply choose the length you want ( I went the longer extension so I have more flexibility) and screw it all together. Time taken was roughly 10mins for both lights including the time spent screwing them on the wrong way…

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

Overall a very strong system, looks neat and has a small cable management system that makes my inner OCD happy. I have one concern which other RMS users might be able to comment on, and that is salt creep into the mount clamp. I think the bottom will get wet/damp a bit but I won't know until I get water in it for sure.

IMG_0637.JPG

Mounting the Vortechs was even simpler (god I love these pumps!). I have placed the MP10wES on the side furthest from the lounge as it will be the louder of the two units. I did have a slight heart attack when I got the tank specs as it mentions 16mm glass and the MP10 is rated to 8mm! Thankfully I had misread the website - it is 16mm Front and back with the sides being ~10mm. A bit of frenzied googling shows plenty of users working with MP10's and 12mm glass so I am confident I am ok as 2x MP40's would be so much overkill imo.

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

Other than that, final positions and modes will be determined when the water and rocks go in.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Installing the Tunze and Fluval Sea

Ok so I got excited again and forgot to take photos of putting the skimmer together, but if I can get it right first go then most people should be fine :)

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

It looks promising and the reviews seem really solid, and as I mentioned before I will be using the overflow sock to hold GAC to begin with, saving me buying a reactor. It fits neatly in the sump with plenty of head room for removing the cup and seeing the reaction chamber, although I have moved it to the back of the chamber to make room for changing the return socks and for a small amount of live rock to be placed in there as well. Actually I may need to fit the heaters in there as well when the turn up.

IMG_0606.JPG

The Fluval Sea is a monster. It would be nearly twice the physical size of the Nyos Viper 5.0 my brother-in-law has, but almost half the rating. But it was cheap and in stock and Fluval has never disappointed me in all my Freshwater days so I am fairly confident. Head is about 1.5m so it is close to underrated for the tank but I think it should be fine to begin with as I will not be teeing it off to a reactor or anything yet.

IMG_0599.JPG

The fittings are nice and easy to connect which will help with maintenance but I have noticed a potential issue with the height of the pump. The intake is going to be very close to the level the ATO will maintain in the return section, and may suck air. In fact there is even a comment in the manual (yes I read the manuals :)) about sucking air and using a 90 degree bend on the intake to combat this. I may do it anyway to be safe as although Red Sea says you can adjust the ATO height I have yet to find out how.

IMG_0605.JPG

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Complete!

Well its done. Finally :worship

Everything is connected and ready for testing and cleaning. The Fluval, MP10's and Tunze will be getting a vinegar bath tonight and a RO bath tomorrow before final mounting. Once that’s done I have a couple steps left:
  • Setup RO/DI unit
  • Leak test overflow
  • Leak test plumbing
  • Add water
  • Aquascape
  • ReefLink config - Radions/MP10's
  • Configure Reef Angel / ATO
  • Cycle tank
  • Tune Tunze
  • Beer :D
IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Another sensational update, thanks for letting us share your journey!!

I love the OCD-ness in the light mount, they look great.

I'd definitely pop a 90 elbow on the intake of your return pump, I've done the same myself on my waveline unit.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Does it have nay impact on flow? I would think not but being I didn't oversize the return it is a slight concern.
I guess technically it would, but it would be so minimal I doubt you would even notice a difference. Put it this way, would be much less of an impact than say if you were getting a vortech sucking air from the surface ;)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If the pump is creating a vortex and sucking air, take a piece of pipe and cut slits in it that exceed the diameter so it makes a sort of screen. It's less likely to suck air that way.