Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Demise Of My Red Spot Blenny
Around the middle of January my Red Spot Blenny took up residence in a hole in a rock. It had previously spent most of the time sitting higher up on the rock and was generally the first to start swimming around when it was feeding time.

I then noticed that it wasn't coming out to eat - they only thing that had changed was the addition of a pair of Banggai Cardinals although I had never witnessed any interaction between them - as most of you would know, Banggai's don't do very much at all :)

The following video was taken on 5 March as I was planning to ask if anyone could see a problem.

Unfortunately, it was found dead the next day :(

Not really sure what was the cause - as you can see it was still fairly alert the previous day. It had been in my tank for just over 2 years and is only the second fish I have lost since I started this tank up in December 2010.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Hey Mj, sorry to hear about your blenny :-( He looked like an awesome little fish. I wonder how long the lifespan of a little blenny is? Was he big when you got him?

JimmyG

Feb 9, 2014
Hi MagicJ, I purchased a Redspot Blenny in early Febuary. It was eating well, very active and looked healthy, like you I awoke to find it dead one morning in March. The only other fish I have in the nano tank are 2 x Clarkii Clowns and a Pistol Shrimp.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had long term success with these guys? I now have a Bi-Colour Blenny that seems to be pretty hardy thus far.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I have one which I guess is around a year in my tank maybe more. He is happy and healthy atm but I might keep a good eye on him. Did either of yours eat much algae? Mine won't eat nori but does eat algae based flake and if I leave the glass long enough he scrapes what he can off.

His short term health concern is the blade of the yellow tang! He loves to p!ss him off and the yellow is always trying to stab him!

JimmyG

Feb 9, 2014
Hi Sarg, my Redspot never touched algae but did eat New Era algae pellets.