Tank Journal Archive

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
The latest process - 25/7/13 (pics)
Soooo... turns out that I'm bad at remembering to take her out of the container, too *blush* (Les calls me the "Moth" for a reason - easily distracted LOL)

So I threw this together! It's just some 60 or 70mm PVC with some 75micron mesh held on the bottom with an elastic band. Fortunately for me, we have LR in our sump beneath off of that Calupera, so I'm able to sit Sunny's container at just the right height next to the baffle so that she benefits from the flow. But this could be achieved easily with a simple frag rack (some egg crate and suction cups).

By sitting the pipe against the baffle, it gets constant, gentle flow which alleviates all need for the airstone. And if I feed the ponies in the display 10mins or so before, when I get to Sunny, she's already out and waving around in the water :D

When it comes to cleaning, every other day I move her pipe lower down in the sump to allow the pods (and one of our Blood Shrimp!) to get in there and eat any scraps.

Touch wood, this method seems to be working really, really well! So enjoy!

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_20130725_103430_zpse256d796.jpg

ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_20130725_103419_zps3d3a83f1.jpg

(Yes. There's another pipe in there. That one's housing my Spaghetti Leather frags to [hopefully!] help them attach to some of the rubble in there)
ai1305.photobucket.com_albums_s545_TheJordans1_20130725_103415_zps90fc8bb7.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have been trying to decide for a while now if I want one or not... so if I see one on the LFS crawl I will grab it. Your fault :)
That is a pretty clever way of looking after sunny!

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
@Buddy

Hehehe! I'll be watchin' ya on Saturday ;)

It makes me want to get another one! But// you don't exactly get to enjoy it when it's in the sump :rolleyes Hopefully one day I'll have a frag tank of some description set up so that I can have it on display :D

And I can't claim any praise for this idea - it's born of laziness!! LOL

Wondering why in the sump particularly? Would this work by putting the coral in a simple breeder box in tank with pumps off?

I too have one I just bought and needs tlc.