Tank Journal Archive

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
The Longest Journey Yet
Well for those that follow my journal on RC you already know this painful story but for my dear friend here, let me tell you my tale of reef woe!
About 6 weeks ago while I was looking at the tank feeling like things were off and not as they should be it came to my attention that there was something evil amid my tank that was causing this problem.... Acro Eating FlatWorms (AEFW). An SPS keepers worst nightmare. When I realised that's what it was I pretty much gave up on the spot, I didn't even look at the tank for three days aside from throw pellets in once a day for the fish but it got no love whatsoever! I was just so bummed about it.
After about a week of just not being capable of doing anything at all, I finally found the motivation to get into gear and sort this out! I spent a few hours looking for an Australian equivalent of Bayer Advanced Insecticide as we can't get that exact product here, so using the same active ingredients and the same concentration and ratio I managed to come across a Bayer product called Temprid 75, which is nearly 10x more concentrated than the Bayer Advanced lol so I also spend a little while doing the maths and conversions to get what I believe is a similar (but weaker) dosing scheme to the much beloved Bayer dip lol and that number was 2ml per 1L of tank water for 5mins and it's what I've been using the past month :) 5m per 1L for 10mins would be the max I recommend but it's a matter of playing and seeing what the results are. I found this method to be quite lethal for my needs!
I had to purchase the insecticide from a wholesaler as there's no commercial version available and the conversation about why I needed it was definitely a humorous one when I told them why I needed it haha. The actual product:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170124_114702_zpsvpyke495.jpg

As you can imagine rather than deal with the infected pieces, they went straight to heaven which left me with the rest of my collection with no visible signs of infection and from there anything that was unhealthy went to heaven as well. That left me with my favourite half a dozen pieces left and they looked really sad in the sump. This is what my once beautiful collection is left at:
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170128_202117_01_zpsigyfn9ee.jpeg

And now after a brutal murdering with bayer, I am free of any visible signs and hopefully in general! Still got two more dips to go, one this week and another next just to be 100% sure but I'm over the ordeal and can start rebuilding again! At least there's some acro's back in the tank again lol a pitiful amount to what it used to be lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170213_130526_01_zps7ggwuqwd.jpeg

Been pumping through 25L water changes every second day too the last week just to give the tank a good freshen up :) I want to change about 200% over three weeks with both ASW and NSW :) should do the tank some good and my motivation is keeping up with it because it helps keep my focus too :)

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
So sorry to read of you loss.
When all is safe again you will have to come over and pinch a few frags from me.
Can I ask why you didn't use coral RX Or revive to get rid of AEFW? is it not strong enough?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Thanks guys :) It was a tough ride for a week coming to terms with it but I'm nearly there so I can't complain anymore lol. Fish totally haven't cared though haha they're going really well :)

So sorry to read of you loss.
When all is safe again you will have to come over and pinch a few frags from me.
Can I ask why you didn't use coral RX Or revive to get rid of AEFW? is it not strong enough?
I'll have to come check out that sexy new tank of yours as well! The offer means a lot to me Rob so thank you :)
Rx and Revive don't effectively kill the flatworms, where as the bayer is a guaranteed kill of any adult flatworms, I have no idea what the effect on the eggs are but it's seemed to work really well! It's a very potent insecticide and the toxin works on a neurological level so you know things are dead while leaving the acro's unharmed!

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
As hard as it was for you mate you've done everyone in Australia a service and found the Aus Bayer alternative.
People can use this as a resource and follow your dosing scheme.

I know it won't take you long for this to be stunning again!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
As hard as it was for you mate you've done everyone in Australia a service and found the Aus Bayer alternative.
People can use this as a resource and follow your dosing scheme.

I know it won't take you long for this to be stunning again!
I'll have to write a how-to on it for reference for everyone :)
I really appreciate the kind words mate and hopefully I'll have things pumping again soon!

How much matrix are you using mate?
10L lol but I'm thinking of adding more since I've shuffled it around, potentially add another 5-8L :) lol

After posting yesterday I decided to do a little bit of work on the tank and re-organising of the matrix to add some to a higher flow are of the sump that forces the water through it :) I even made a wonderful media basket!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170216_112316_zpsxsjuoedd.jpg

I gave it all a good stir and mix up to clean things out and freshen it up! Stormy day on the reef was the result lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170216_113838_zpsqjuid7oj.jpg

Needless to say the skimmer really enjoyed the good stir up lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_FB_IMG_1487213835772_zpsvl1dch8w.jpg

Tank was sparkly and clean once it all cleared and I'm hoping that having the matrix, carbon and phosminus in a high flow are with the water being forced through it will make a difference but we'll have to see :) I've left half the matrix in a much lower flow area for more anaerobic conditions so we'll see what happens lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170216_135539_01_zpsab7qigy1.jpeg

Also here's a starfish anus/mouth to brighten everyone's day!
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_20170216_151215_zpsvypnrrph.jpg