Tank Journal Archive

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
The Plans!
Being so sick/in hospital on and off for the first 3.5 months of pregnancy, my two nano setups have turned to algae overrun, disgusting boxes of yuck. Other half tried to help but used horrid Ballarat tap water to top up and to be honest, I'm surprised anything is left.

Since we are staying here for quite a while (in October I bought/opened my own tattoo shop) We will eventually be setting up the 6 foot but for now I want something I can setup/salvage from the 2 nano tanks and start preparing for the 6 foot. I already had pretty much everything lying around for this set up, save for a light unit and some more rock.

Australia has some LPS that back home I wouldn't be able to find for less than the price of my first born....so I would like to have a tank with a focus on them. That and the fact that, for now anyways, I don't want to run a skimmer. I'm sure as time goes on this will change, hell...by the time it's wet it'll probably change...but for now, no skimmer is planned.

I know I want to run 2, 3 foot lights over the 6 foot tank. And have been sold on the Razor units. I was going to save up and buy one but I was offered a UK Marine 3 foot unit for almost half of what I can purchase a Razor for new. It runs the same LEDs as a razor and 4 clusters instead of 3. I've done some research on them and from what I can tell, they are a decent unit and will do well for what I'm looking for. The light will be suspended above the tank to cover the remaining 6 inches either side. And will run on a basic sunrise, increase, sunset program.

Live rock. Ugh. The current tanks are over run with apistia and algae of various grossness. But I love some of the shapes I've got. So the remaining coral will be stored in a bin with powerheads and lights etc, after I pick it clean and assassinate any pests I can find. The rocks are going for a bath. In bleach/.water and then soaked for at least a week and cooked. This will essentially turn it into dry, dead rock. Which is fine by me. I've picked up some Marco rock and between that and the newly dead stuff, should have a decent amount to work with. I have no problem with waiting a good month to seed/cycle the new tank properly...one of the nano setups took 6 weeks before levels read where they should.

I'm hoping to keep a relatively simple rock layout, so plans are to have a single mp40 on the back centered in the tank and then have a Tunze on one of the side walls to create a decent random flow pattern. Research says the MP40 on reef crest and maxing out around 70% should be a strong enough but still random flow pattern.

I will have a modded Aqua Clear fuge off the back running some sort of marcro algae and possibly another modded HOB filter running Chemi-Pure and Purigen.

As for livestock, I want it very...very minimal. It will have a simple, basic clean up crew of snails and then I would like this to be a single species setup. Mainly because I have every intention of this being a stepping stone tank. Who am I kidding. I know full well that I'll have this one set up and then end up just setting up the 6 foot as well...just don't tell that to my husband yet. So I would like a small group of the Vanderbilt Chromis. I just need to see if any of the shops here can get them in. From what I've seen of them they are quite active little fellas and I think with a species only tank I'll be able to get the colours I'm looking for out of them better than I could if there were in a tank with competition/other fish.

Those are the plans....for now anyways.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Sounds like quite the plan.
Just where you mentioned that you were going to cook the rock - please don't.
Boiling rock is extremely dangerous, deadly in fact.
There was a case in the States where a guy boiled some rock on the stove in his house and he and his wife ended up in Emergency in a really bad way. His dog almost died also.
They were still sick with respiratory problems for over a year. The fumes given off are extremely toxic.
I've found a good safe way to clean up rock is to blast it with a power washer (running salt water through it)

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Sounds like quite the plan.
Just where you mentioned that you were going to cook the rock - please don't.
Boiling rock is extremely dangerous, deadly in fact.
There was a case in the States where a guy boiled some rock on the stove in his house and he and his wife ended up in Emergency in a really bad way. His dog almost died also.
They were still sick with respiratory problems for over a year. The fumes given off are extremely toxic.
I've found a good safe way to clean up rock is to blast it with a power washer (running salt water through it)

whoa! good to know! Maybe we'll just stick with the bath and then a good pressure wash....

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Yes as above, don't cook them.

If it was me, I'd leave the rock to dry for a bit, then rinse in salt water and add to the tank. I'm not big on the whole 'it must be pristine' thing, and if your focus is LPS, it is not like it matters that much.

As for lights, I would steer away from the Razors. I used to be for them - and they are amazing lights, except their LEDs keep on burning the pads below them. It is just an annoyance to replace. And costs a bit too. Currently I am loving the Illumagic lights. Check our their Blazes.

As for water circulators, have a look at getting two Maxspect Gyre 130s (the 35w ones).

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Yes as above, don't cook them.

If it was me, I'd leave the rock to dry for a bit, then rinse in salt water and add to the tank. I'm not big on the whole 'it must be pristine' thing, and if your focus is LPS, it is not like it matters that much.

As for lights, I would steer away from the Razors. I used to be for them - and they are amazing lights, except their LEDs keep on burning the pads below them. It is just an annoyance to replace. And costs a bit too. Currently I am loving the Illumagic lights. Check our their Blazes.

As for water circulators, have a look at getting two Maxspect Gyre 130s (the 35w ones).
I've read some horror stories of people leaving some rocks out for a while to dry and then finding them eventually sprouting the same algaes they were trying to kill...whether that be from poor husbandry/nutrient levels or because some algae is the devil incarnate I'm not sure...but I'll keep it in mind. Really, I'll have a few weeks while I (and by I, I mean my husband) preps the cabinet/stand and moves it into the house etc so I could do a bleach/water bath and then a good rinse and then a week or so to dry....so that might be the case.

You're the first person to mention a negative about the Razors! I'll have some time to do some more research/saving so we'll definitely look into more options.

I've already got the MP40 and Tunze hanging around (I actually have a Jebao WP60 as well but that's way too much haha) but I have been looking into the larger models of Gyre's for teh 6 foot...can't have enough random flow is my thought.

I guess that's a plus of being laid up for so long...I've had plenty of time to read/research!

Thanks for the input :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
With the rock - I would just take a pair of bone cutters to them and remove all of the problem areas, quick rinse in saltwater and back in the tank. You will have some time to observe for a few weeks to see if anything grows that you've missed, which you can easily remove or if its tiny you can just keep hitting it with 3% Hydrogen peroxide applied directly to it and it will go away.

I found this the easiest way to get what was left of my rock back to where I wanted it and it wasn't labour intensive or stinky. If you're anything like me, once you take a close look at the rocks, it will surprise you what life is on it worth keeping.

RCanik

Imported Canadian
Dec 23, 2013
Ballarat
Well, I knew that wouldn't last long. Straightening up the garage I found an overflow kit...So yeah, Sump etc is in the plans now. There's that.