News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The Reefuge and PayPal
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately due to recent events, The Reefuge will soon stop supporting paypal payments and donations. Over the course of the next few weeks we will be looking for the best alternative to paypal, and then resume services that rely on it.

We apologise for the inconvenience.

Thanks.

Tracey

Jun 9, 2012
Warwick
I use a paypal account to buy things over the net. Just wondering if the "recent events" are something I should worry about?

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Hopefully it all gets sorted.

I had issues with the Pal last year. They froze my birthday money because it was transferred from one account to another on my PC. Apparently this was money laundering!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote an email to their company stating how they were stealing the money from me! It took 1 week to get my money back, minus Pal fees of course. And by then, we had already finished our holiday and were heading home to Brisbane.

Thanks again Pal, for ruining out holiday!

Reactions: MTG

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

The donation manager was up and running via PayPal. The Reefuge uses a PayPal business account as there are features required by this site that are only available on the business account (linking it up from our API to theirs). Seeing as donations were going through, PayPal froze the account due to "scam" and are refusing to open it again until a whole bunch of information is provided (business model, why we use paypal, etc). A lot of the questions asked are very in depth, and it is not right for a site like PayPal to request such information.

Now, there is a way to open the account again (and it will be opened), but a simple e-mail asking why the business account was accepting donations would have been enough, and a simple answer would have had the entire thing sorted. Now, it is more complicated to fix. Because of this, PayPal's time on The Reefuge is limited, and we will be sourcing a much more advanced system and build upon that. If one is found that will do all things required, we will start using them.

Thanks.