News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
The Reefuge Micro-Communities
Hello everyone,

We have some very exciting news for everyone today. We are very happy to announce the release of The Reefuge Micro-Communities. This has been floating around for a while and I believe it will very much help The Reefuge grow faster and with higher quality content.

Communities can have their own description (with full BB code support). They can also have their own avatar to identify them easily. When a user joins a community, the community avatar will display in the users postbit so other members know what communities the user is a member of.

You can view the communities at http://www.thereefuge.com.au/mcat/micro-communities.277/
It is also listed on the main forum page.
  • What is a Micro-Community?
A Micro-Community is a community within The Reefuge. It allows members to create their very own communities and allows other members to join these communities. Communities can then focus on their niche.

The member who creates a community is responsible for that community. They have moderator powers within that community, and have the ability to add other moderators (staff members) to help run the community.

Although communities are semi-separate to The Reefuge, content is still part of The Reefuge. ALL Reefuge rules must still be followed, and any community creators found abusing their powers or breaking the rules will be subject to punishment by The Reefuge.

Community creators are NOT staff of The Reefuge.

• What can a Micro-Community be about?
A Micro-Community can be about anything that a person with a reef tank will appreciate. Something like Photography, Plumbing, LED and Programming may be something users will enjoy and are loosely tied to the reef hobby. Something like Gaming, Music, etc are not allowed. These belong in the Off-Topic forum.

Micro-Communities can also be used to set up small groups of members who live close to each other. This allows for the creation of mini groups that fall within their state group.

• Are businesses allowed to set up their own community?
No. Businesses have paid services available that allow them to use The Reefuge as a tool for business growth. Micro-Communities are here for the members to enjoy and learn.

Enjoy.

Thanks.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
This is AWESOME! Perhaps in the future we might get breeder micro-communities happening, ie "shrimp breeding"/"fish breeding"/"soft coral propagation and fragging" etc etc

... Can think of a few users whose knowledge I'd love to see spilled out into such forums .... :D (*cough* @chimaera *cough* @Jimmy dang *cough* @dr_schell )

hehehe

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think it's the thing on the left hand side??
I thought so, but the members of the Raspberry Pi group don't have any avatar showing there.

I think maybe a separate breeding and propagation group, rather than combined? Quite separate skills and discussion on the whole.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Cool :D

I think the Raspberry PI forum is a perfect example of these ...

What is a 'user postbit'?
Hello @chimaera,

The postbit is where the message from the user is displayed. But it may cause too much mess. For now we will focus on setting up groups.

Thanks.