Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Second Spawn (20/4/14)
I spent a few hours yesterday afternoon waiting for the egg handover with my video camera ready to go but, unfortunately, nothing happened - I don't think the male was ready :eek

By the time the lights came on today (which was not until 1.00pm) the transfer had already taken place - not sure how long it will take me but I will eventually get the event on camera.

So, this is the male tonight

I need to do some research, but I am considering stripping him of the eggs around day 14 and hatching them out in an egg tumbler - that's if I can catch him.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
His mouth/throat doesn't seem to be expanded as much as the first time so I suspect he is not carrying as many eggs. I have been reading a few of Matt Pedersen's posts (from around 2008) and it seems that the eggs are due to hatch tomorrow (Day 9 from spawn).

This is a photo from tonight - it took about 15 minutes of very patient waiting to get this one :)

I am seriously thinking about stripping him on Saturday night - @@Dr. Schell what is your secret for catching the male in your tank ?