Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The Sixth Spawn (6/11/14)
Another spawn took place last Thursday, 6/11/14.

The male has been holding for less and less time, so I decided to collect the eggs tonight - 9 days after spawn.

He didn't want to give them up :banghead but I eventually managed to collect around 20 eggs. I transferred them safely to the tumbler so hopefully I will have some better success this time.

I will post some photo's tomorrow.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Some photo's - better late than never :rolleyes

Dad - he didn't look to be holding too many this time
Banggai-Fry-204.jpg

I counted 15 when he eventually released them (9 days post spawn)
Banggai-Fry-203.jpg

Over the course of the next few days I lost a few to fungus - some started to hatch on 20/11/14 (14 days post spawn). This was one the following day
Banggai-Fry-201.jpg

Unfortunately, I then had some problems with my heater and, more significantly, with the tumbler. I think I had too much turbulence in the tumbler and lost a few where the egg sack burst, killing the larvae :banghead I will know better next time.

Anyway, I now have 3 which have made it to 19 days post spawn - they are looking quite healthy so hopefully I can get these ones through. These would normally be kept by the male for another week or so.
Banggai-Fry-202.jpg

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
They had their first feed of brine shrimp tonight :) One looks fine but the other two appear to have a similar swim bladder problem as that which inflicted my sole survivor last time :banghead

Banggai-Fry-207.jpg

I will eventually have the success I am looking for, eventually ....

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Still growing nicely with the spots now developing on the fins :)

After a week of patience I now have them weaned onto frozen foods (Ocean Nutrition Lobster Eggs are just the right size although they will soon be able to move onto their Fish Eggs) so no more mucking around with Brine Shrimp.

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Banggai_Fry_211_zps33d16227.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Amazing Magic :D They're looking super healthy!! How many juvi's have you got??
Unfortunately, only 3 this time but I made a few mistakes along the way which I guess would have cost me another 10 or so.

I plan to remove the eggs from the male on Day 7 next time, which will hopefully be before he eats them.

By the way, I don't blame the male - my Yellow Tang seems to show a lot of interest in the Banggai's, both during and following the spawn. I suspect that the male just gets a bit too stressed during the incubation period and that things would be a lot better if he was in his own tank. Hopefully, within a few months, I will get some more breeding tanks setup and I can test my hypothesis :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Unfortunately, only 3 this time but I made a few mistakes along the way which I guess would have cost me another 10 or so.

I plan to remove the eggs from the male on Day 7 next time, which will hopefully be before he eats them.

By the way, I don't blame the male - my Yellow Tang seems to show a lot of interest in the Banggai's, both during and following the spawn. I suspect that the male just gets a bit too stressed during the incubation period and that things would be a lot better if he was in his own tank. Hopefully, within a few months, I will get some more breeding tanks setup and I can test my hypothesis :)
Still, having 3 at this stage in the game is an awesome achievement and they're looking pretty amazing too :)
As long as you figure out what needs changing then you'll be making a world of difference, hopefully you'll be able to get 10+ to this stage in the next batch :D

I'm sure having his own tank or quiet area would make a heap of difference but you've still done well considering that you've been able to collect them from the tank and the male is still managing to do okay in the circumstances! :)