Tank Journal Archive

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
Torch loss
After losing one of my torch corals another on started showing the same symptoms, (deflated and shrinking back into skeleton). One head has completely gone, I managed to remove it and the second head isn't looking to happy.
I tested the water and found nitrates to be a bit higher then I'd like so i started with big water changes and target feeding the coral.
This didn't make much difference and things still looked bad. While trying to figure out why the nitrates were still high I noticed a few areas of substrate that were holding alot of gunk. I made the decision to start removing the substrate a bit at a time and return it to the way I had it originally.. a bare bottom tank.

I had also been playing with the lighting using my PLC to dim the lights etc and may have set them too low. This coupled with the nitrate, I'm not sure if this is the reason things started to crash. Everything else is doing great, hammers are happy, zoas are taking over everything, and my fish healthy.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
When you are talking high nitrates here just how high are they? I noticed mine has started creeping up this week

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
Mine were around 10ppm but I also had a minor hair algae outbreak which could have been masking the results.