Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Tried Vodka Dosing But No Thanks....
I've recently started dosing Vodka in an effort to bring my Nitrates down and control both NO3 and PO4.

I used the method outlined at Melev's reef - see http://www.melevsreef.com/vodka_dosing.html for more detail.

After week 3 I've noticed some patches of Cyno starting to break out again. For anyone that has read my TJ the memory of bad it was makes me shiver when I think about it - see http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/im-bored-lets-give-a-quick-update.7534/#post-110291 for some pics of how bad it was. The outbreak at the moment is no where near as bad, however I'm not letting it get there again. Last time it nearly caused me to get out of this hobby!

Recently I had pretty much cleared the Cyno up (it was due to excessive PO4 due to a batch of faulty Hanna reagents) and was happy. As always, we all try something new to strive for something a little better.

Anyway I've stopped using Vodka (Cold turkey - not sure if this was the right thing to do or not) and will monitor the tank and make sure the Cyno gets no worse.

I'll look at using vinegar. From what I've been able to read the difference is you need a lot more vinegar for the same amount of Carbon Vodka offers (the cost is cheap but having a larger volume does make it more forgiving). The positive is feedback suggests it doesn't cause Cyno (which has many documented cases of being a side effect of vodka dosing) however the flip side is it lowers pH.

Since my tank currently averages around 8.45 a small drop won't matter to much. If it drops further I can bake the Part 1 of Randy's 2 part mix which will raise the pH.

RobbieMVFC

Feb 25, 2013
Vodka worked a treat for my tank . It was only when I went on holidays and had to stop that it turned bad with a GHA outbreak .
I am now using bio-pallets.
Cayno is the type of thing that tends to always pop up.
I think once its in your system it will always pop up from time to time.
when I get it I let is settle for a week then remove a fine layer of the sand by siphoning it out .
It might take a few weeks but you get there .
The problem is that it remains in you LR :(
Good luck

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I have just ordered the red sea product to try for my 100l tank even the commercial product will be cost effective.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
This is really interesting to hear feedback on. Let us know how you go with the vinegar. You can add vinegar to kalkwasser to negate the pH drop. The vinegar increases the solubility of the lime. I haven't worked out quantities yet for my own tank, but this is what I plan to do. Dosing kalkwasser with vinegar added serves 3 purposes - RO top up, calcium replenishment and carbon dosing. Keeps things simple.

I'll be doing this as well as 5-15% water changes monthly after watching a lecture by Julian Sprung at Majestic Aquariums (on Youtube) and hearing what he had to say about tank maintenance.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I too am using the Red Sea product (in a 130l tank, cost wasn't really an issue). Has done wonders so far (about 10 days in). Progress went like this (don't laugh at my initial values!!!)
Nitrates: 80ppm, 80ppm, 60ppm, 40ppm, 20ppm
Phosphates: 1.38, 1.01, 0.87, 0.78, 0.80
That's testing every 2 days for 10 days. Decent results!
Sam

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
My nitrates are not that high, will double check tonight, but phosphates are creeping up and getting some algae build up on sand (even some red slime grrrrr) so going to try this..

E

ezza

What a shame you guys aren't in NSW.. You could have my "dosing" ASC, Tropic Marin Bio Actif. I have this massive bucket of the damn stuff.