Tank Journal Archive

Trying To Understand Calc, Alk And Mag
So I've been dosing Randy's recipe #1 for just over a week now and I'm trying to work out my test results.

I dose 20ml/day of the Alk and Calc solutions and 5ml/day of the Mag. (That'll become 18ml and 3.8mls when my syringes arrive any day now.)

Over the week my Alkalinity appears to have taken off out of sync with Calcium, and the Magnesium has dropped slightly.

Screenshot_2015-07-19-21-36-51.png

Apart from explanations like inaccurate test kits or results, or a week being too short a test period, what would explain this from a chemistry perspective? Does Alkalinity drive down measurable Mag levels? Does low Mag drive Calc and Alk out of balance?

Thanks in advance!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Low Mag can mess with your readings, but I think it would have to be lower than 1200ppm?
The way I measured my tank was to measure on a Monday, don't dose anything for a week and then test the following Monday.
Then you can see exactly how much your tank consumed in a week.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
It looks to me like you are trying to dose all three supps in equal amounts. LIke the Red Sea 3 part.
Unfortunately the equal dosing does not always work,
As your tank may consume a lot more of one that the other, so 20ml of cal and alk for example my raise your numbers if your tank really only need or consumes 5ml
Often when people use the 3 part dose product they still have to use a single sup to get numbers balanced.

I am no expert with this and found it to be very confusing when I first started dosing,
But for example my tank uses a lot more Cal than it does alk for months then all of a sudden I have to change the dosing pump slightly because the cal usage has dropped off slightly. I assume it has to do with coraline growth, clam use etc.
Then over the next month I may have to adjust my alk dosing up or down for the same reasons.

I would recommend you test, wait for 3 days, retest and dose according to the calculations on actual usage and not just assume that 20ml of each will keep steady numbers.

Looking at your graph, clearly you need to slightly up your mag dose. Drop you alk dose and keep cal about the same to level out at 400 as that has been stable for a while.
Just don't forget that these numbers for dosing can change based on corals, slight difference in water change mix, growth coral skeletons etc.

Tan

Jul 4, 2015
Hi Ben

What test kit are you using?

The corals you have in your tank are all majority Lps or filter feeders. I would recommend reducung your ALK dose down to 5ml a day, keep your calc where it is and increase your mag till you get around 1350 mark.

The corals you have does not have a skeleton base and will absorb very little alk and calc.

Hope it helps.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Only dose what your tank requires. I used to dose Red Sea foundations 3 in 1 but my tank uses Alk, a little Ca and bugger all Mg. I have started Randys and am only doseing Alk for the moment and once that became stable (around 8) I was able to target how much Ca my tank uses.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
All good suggestions provided already :)

Of the three, getting tha alk consistent is the key - you are better off taking things slow rather than get large swings like you have over the past week.

I like @Buddy suggestion - don't dose for a week and see what has been consumed.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks all.

I misunderstood Randy's instructions and thought the solutions had to be dosed in this specific ratio, but apparently not :)

Simple mistake -> simple solution!
The instructions do actually state to dose the same amounts of calcium and alkalinity solutions, so you didn't misunderstand it.

But, often tanks use up the elements at different rates so it is quite acceptable to vary the quantities.