Reef Discussion

Two Stc-1000's?
Hi guys, what are your opinions on running a fan over the sump? I have two STC-1000 's and that would allow me to have a fan kick in at say...0.3 degrees over set point and then the chiller at 0.6 degrees over set point...?

Also winter I can do the same with one heater at 0.3 below SP and a second heater ( backup) 0.6 below SP....

I have room for another and I have it wired up. Is this a good option? Does a fan blowing over your sump make much of a difference?

The second heater I think is a no brainer as it's a good redundancy. Thanks...

image.jpg

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Hi guys, what are your opinions on running a fan over the sump? I have two STC-1000 's and that would allow me to have a fan kick in at say...0.3 degrees over set point and then the chiller at 0.6 degrees over set point...?

Also winter I can do the same with one heater at 0.3 below SP and a second heater ( backup) 0.6 below SP....

I have room for another and I have it wired up. Is this a good option? Does a fan blowing over your sump make much of a difference?

The second heater I think is a no brainer as it's a good redundancy. Thanks...

View attachment 55343
Yep do it.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I think a fan over the sump can be quite effective, I've read of people seeing anywhere between 1-3 degrees depending on room temp.
Two STC's, two heaters, two coolers, should be rock solid!

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I have never had one of these units however if it has a "dead band" setting between heating and cooling and two outputs I would be using one unit to do both heating and cooling.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I wonder if you could wire up both units to read of the same temperature probe?

I know that these can be calibrated separately, but I think this would lead to geater overall accuracy??

But you would lose all heating and cooling if the temp probe failed.

Ok... thanks for the advise and input, I have done it. I'm looking forward to having this next level of redundancy.
0.3 degrees for fan and first heater (should not see second heater activate unless first has failed... hitting 0.6 under SP)
.0.6 under SP, chiller or backup heater activate.

IMG_1801.JPG

Thank you @daveH for the donated power supply....
Thank you @MagicJ for helping me not blow up the second fan... I'm not much of an electrician....
image.jpg

Did you use both temperature probes?

Where did you place them?
I used bot yes but ordered a new one for one of them. I do like your idea and I'm tossing up if I should combine the two controllers using just the one probe.

I am yet to collect the tank and the sump from the builder. Once I do so I will have one or both probes in the most upstream location in the sump. So where the socks are. Down from that will be the heater and the chiller is fed from the return pump T off point.