News

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Upcoming Updates
Hi everyone,

I decided to let you all in on what will be happening from today until the end of 2013. Please keep in mind, the priorities of these are going to change, and there will also be things taken out, and things added.

#1 - Shops go Gold - The shops are still in their BETA stage. With any luck, we will get some vital features added, and then they will go gold. This will mean that the official opening will take place, and there will be a few minor changes to the way the forums work.

#2 - Threaded Threads - As explained before, this feature will allow much easier reading of The Reefuge.

#3 - Coral Program - This is still being worked on, but I am sure it will be functioning by the end of the year.

#4 - Tank Journals - Another high need feature. These are almost ready, and should be up in the next few months.

#5 - Webcams - The Reefuge will have a feature which will allow users to hook up their webcams and broadcast directly to The Reefuge. This will allow for real time viewing of members tanks.

#6 - Flatten Framework - The Reefuge will then be used as a framework for all other sites that are to come.

(single sign on is already working, this means a single account will work for all sister sites)

#7 - The Reefuge USA - The Reefuge will have another site made for users in the USA.

#8 - The Reefuge UK - The Reefuge will have another site made for users in the UK.

#9 - The Reefuge NZ - The Reefuge will have another site made for users in NZ.

#10 - The Reefuge Europe - The Reefuge will have another site made for users in all of Europe.

As you can see, there is still a lot of work to go. Once the Australian site is running as it should, the framework will be set. This means that sister sites can be launched in just a few hours.

There are also features coming which I have not listed, so you will all need to keep an eye out for them.

Thanks.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I'm sure I could help you fill the NZ forum pretty quickly. Few quick messages here and there, and I'm sure they come strolling through the doors lol

daniel

Nov 24, 2011
macleod, melbourne
With the webcam thing can that be used somehow so it runs through the camera of a iPhone or mobile or iPad, so it can be done like that?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sounds awesome! World domination plans! haha.

The USA will be an interesting challenge for you ... there are some huge and well established forums over there already, so might be tougher to break. But the UK, NZ, maybe Europe ... sure they will all lap it up.

V

'vspec'

Bah, leave the americans to me, I'll head up the yank division. Give me an unlimited supply of twinkies, and we're in business ;)

@ Neo, well done brother! Now lets set the flames alight!

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Sounds awesome! World domination plans! haha.

The USA will be an interesting challenge for you ... there are some huge and well established forums over there already, so might be tougher to break. But the UK, NZ, maybe Europe ... sure they will all lap it up.
Hi chimaera,

I had a meeting with 'vspec' a few days ago, and he raised some really great points. Although I had planned on expanding, he came up with a good reason as to why. His theory is that in different parts of the world, people do things a little bit differently. This means that once the other sites are set up, knowledge and ideas from around the world can be found on a single network.

I am aware of a few other reef forums on the internet, but to tell you the truth, I have not really gone over for a look. So far, The Reefuge has been the main focus for the last 10 months. I can't say I am not curious as to how the other forums operate, however this site is not yet at a level I am happy with (functionality). Once The Reefuge is at a point where we all agree that it works, perhaps then I will see what others are doing. To the best of my knowledge so far, I am of the belief that The Reefuge is quite original.

If that is true, it will not be "too" difficult to set up small, established boards in other countries. If something is unique, people tend to take a peek. This is why users giving feedback and ideas is so important. The purpose of the site is to give people what they want, not what we think they want.

Thanks.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sounds sensible. The Reefuge is definitely unique in terms of a forum and all of the developments to make it Reef specific will make it truly so - things like the shop when that functions fully, and the frag program if it works as intended will be better than any out there. So yes there's definitely a good chance the forums will become popular.

I do like hte idea of keeping them somewhat separate though. I am a member on nano-reef.com and love its focus and community, but I dislike how US focused it is - which is why I found and joined this forum, which is less nano focused obviously but more Australian. So I maintain a presence on both sites and get both aspects I want/need =0)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to make a quick update on this. I was speaking to MTG earlier, and I did not make the first post clear enough (as I did not add in the information). Sorry about that.

Some of you may remember this post. This post let you all know about the new framework.

As the sites are built, it will automatically carry over your user information - all of it. It will also carry over your session. This means that if you login to one site, it will automatically log you in to all sites, and if you log out of one site, it will log you out of all sites. If you want to check out a tank in the USA, even comment on it, you will not need to sign up again, you will not even need to login again. Simply go over to The Reefuge (Country) and post, easy!

I hope this cleared up some questions people were having.

Thanks

Reactions: MTG
V

'vspec'

I personally think it the only way to fly.;)

Our resources of information are not just regional ~ its global.
In knowing this, you've just been privy to your own information corridor within the internet, and what's impressive, it's core values and framework will have seeded from here.

What's not to love actually ~ You can engage as little or as much as you like obviously, having a 1click ability to surf a framework your already familiar with, coupled with seeing styling, content , trends, tech ect displaying real-time.

Its a logical step in my opinion.
I think I can speak for most of us by saying its not just reaching the benchmark that's an exceptionable goal, its redefining it !
awww.desmonorthwest.com_forums_images_smilies_whistling.gif