Tank Journal Archive

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Updates
29/08/2014 Tank Update 1

I've completed two 25L water changes since the rescape, mainly to remove the detritus accumulating below the powerheads.

Livestock
It's been exciting seeing all the fauna that has come in with the new live rock. I've seen a brown bobbit worm unfortunately, but also a few small brittle stars, a large black and yellow brittle star and a small abalone cruising around. There are some other smaller snails that I haven't identified. The three existing Trochus sp. snails are working their way around the live rock quite slowly, so I may end up buying something else to pick over the rocks.

I'm going to hold off on putting fish in the tank and wait for my corals to grow in. I'll likely go for a couple of Yellow Coral Gobies, or some other small fish that aren't too troublesome.

Corals
I've continued to collect a variety of morphs to stock the display, but I still have no idea how to attach them. I cant take pictures of most of them due to my sump layout, but here's some QLD red morphs and a green spotted purple morph.

photo 1.JPG

I have a few hot pinks, a single striped blue, a bright green, a couple of the stock standard blues, a sky blues with orange spots and a sky blue with red spots.

As for the zoas I've starting cutting my frags off their plugs and attaching them to the live rock.

photo (1).JPG

1) 'Taliban' : bright green centre, orange long frill. Large sized polyps.
2) Unknown : bright green centre, bright green long frill. Medium sized polyps.
3) Tricolours : yellow mouth, purple centre, green frill. Small sized polyps.
4) Unknown : yellow mouth, yellow centre, yellow short frill. Small sized polyps.

Against my original intentions I found myself with a Montipora digitata frag that's fairly bleached and has a bit of algae on it. It's shown great polyp extension quickly after being put into the tank, should be purple with green polyps once it regains its colour.

photo 2.JPG

Last but not least, I picked up a WA orange hammer.

photo (2).JPG

I'm targeting feeding nano Reef Roids to all my corals, cutting off all flow and using a 3mL pipette.