Tank Journal Archive

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Ventillation For Garage - Gable Vents
All of the ancillary equipment for my tank will be housed in the garage next to the house.

One of my concerns in the garage is airflow.

Today I ordered two gable vents to assist with airflow and ventillation throughout the garage.

The vents I ordered are from a company called Austech and their size is 51cm x 66cm.

IMG_5153.JPG

These vents will be placed on the shed walls, close to the top of the roof and should increase natural airflow throughout the shed.

They feature insect screens and should be very easy to install.

I am hoping the installation of the vents will allow cooler fresh air to enter at one end of the garage, flow the distance of the shed and exit along with the warmer air at the opposite end. Only time will tell if my theory will work :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Keep us updated, looking to add some airflow or temperature control to my garage also. Thinking of poly insulation on metal panel door, insulation in ceiling (for some reason they don't do this anymore...) and some air vents

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Keep us updated, looking to add some airflow or temperature control to my garage also. Thinking of poly insulation on metal panel door, insulation in ceiling (for some reason they don't do this anymore...) and some air vents
I have also been looking at other options like solar powered vent fans Sam, but I thought I would start with a low tech approach and see if I can improve the airflow in different stages.

You could say this is stage one.

I also opted for the two smaller vents over one larger vent because:

(1) More freedom in placement on gable
&
(2) I felt that two smaller holes are better than one larger hole and structural integrity would not be compromised.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I have taken some pictures to illustrate where the gable vents will be placed.

This is the front of the garage:
IMG_5158.JPG

On the front of the garage there are existing vents on the right hand side that run from floor to ceiling.

IMG_5160.JPG

This is the garage from the back of the house:

IMG_5157.JPG

The idea is to place the vents at the top right hand side
IMG_5156.JPG

They will be above the glass door on the right hand side and close to the roof.

Last edited:

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I have a shed that sits smack bang in the sun and my water in storage buckets would get up to 60*, I installed one of those solar vents (only cheap one) and the hottest the water has got is 40 now, so they do work.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I have a shed that sits smack bang in the sun and my water in storage buckets would get up to 60*, I installed one of those solar vents (only cheap one) and the hottest the water has got is 40 now, so they do work.
That's good to hear NiCd.
I will definitelty be looking into them.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
My two gable vents arrived today :)
IMG_5169.JPG

Wine bottle for size comparison. This is one vent pictured - the left side is what will be outside and the right side sits on the inside.

IMG_5170.JPG

I like the insect barrier compared to the flyscreen type mesh ones I have seen on other vents.

Depending on the weather over the next few days, I'll install them.

We have a heatwave predicted for Brisbane with Saturday forcast to be 34 and Sunday to be 39 degrees!!!
I don't think I'll be climbing ladders and installing anything if it's that hot !