Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Very Belated First Journal Entry
A few of you may remember last year that I shut down my 6ft tank and kept a few long term fish and set up a little Cade tank.
Well I am still here and the tank is still going! I am definitely not missing maintaining my 6ft tank and it is a joy to be able to clean the glass on this Cade in about 3 minutes flat!
It is a Cade HL800 which is 800(L) x 600 (W) x 550 (H) and roughly 260L.
I completely replaced all of the plumbing and changed the overflow to a siphon with backup and a separate return going over the top of the tank. I may drill the back of the tank for the return to make it look a bit cleaner. Does anyone know if you can drill Cade glass?

I set up the tank in around July '17 and of course everything was covered in diatoms and algae as you can expect for a new set up. I made it worse by moving house about 6 weeks after setting up the tank and having to move it. I was battling hair algae up until about 2 months ago but once that was gone the cyano started and I am still getting on top of it. I am just doing my maintenance every week and slowly but surely I am getting rid of it. Another type of algae has shown up, hopefully someone can ID it for me.

My clowns that I have had since 2011 are still going great and spawning like clockwork. I kept my Leopard and Cleaner Wrasse as they both eat pellet and flake and are also long term fish. I also kept my fairy wrasse but i will debate moving him on as the tank may be a little small for it. The last fish is some sort of Cardinal which was 1 of 25 that I had in the 6ft tank. They decided to have a death match and this guy was the winner so hes the only one that made it to the Cade!
My only loss was my Yellow Watchman Goby. Came home from work a few weeks ago and he was dead... not to sure why but he was at least 6 - 7 years old so it may have just been his time.

I have not added a single coral or fish since starting this tank because I still have one more move to come later this year but that will be permanent (First home getting built :D) So I can get serious about the tank then!

Here is the tank is all of its not so much glory... the fish and coral are happy so that is fine with me.
If someone knows what algae (not the hair algae) is behind the anemone in the last pic please let me know!

Attachments

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Welcome back @Buddy

Looking great and you should build a bigger tank once your house is built .. or perhaps you already have them constructed along?

I noticed that you also have zoanthids growing on your wall tank ... hahahaa

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Welcome back @Buddy

Looking great and you should build a bigger tank once your house is built .. or perhaps you already have them constructed along?

I think that's the algae Buddy is talking about. Look at how spread out the polyp-looking bits are - not liked zoas.

Nice tank btw.

That blue wrasse has markings on its face - what type is it?

Sorry to hear you lost the Goby at that age, but hopefully the goby died of old age.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Welcome back Luke , looks like cyanobacteria .
Cheers!

Welcome back @Buddy

Going slightly bigger is possible at the new house but nothing more than 3x2x2 but we will see how it goes. I am enjoying the Cade.
I will have the tank at the new house all cycled properly before moving my livestock in.
I wish it was Zoanthids, it's just bloody algae!

I think that's the algae Buddy is talking about. Look at how spread out the polyp-looking bits are - not liked zoas.

Nice tank btw.

That blue wrasse has markings on its face - what type is it?

Sorry to hear you lost the Goby at that age, but hopefully the goby died of old age.
Thanks. Its a Leopard Wrasse. Can be difficult to get eating.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Closer pic of the algae....
@Wrangy I know you have had your fair share of algae :P Do you know what it is?

algae2.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
THAT IS THE DEVIL'S SPAWN :rage:rage:dead:dead
Caulerpa nummularia and burn it man, just burn the whole lot down! haha

So glad to hear and see you back Luke! Been far too long man, nice to have your friendly face back again haha
Well that didn't sound very positive haha.... Lets see if I can defeat it! I know a Foxface would have a good go at it but my tank is far to small for one.
Thanks!!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I've never had that macro before but it looks like the kind of stuff you see on fresh live rock. I have seen it at LFS.

Anyway, I know people have identified it above and have indicated it is hard to get rid of. But, is it like many algae we see, that as the tank settles in the algae either dies off, get's eaten, or is out-competed by other algae that appears?

I had some brown flat disc shaped algae on my fresh live rock years ago and I scraped it all off and it never came back, but then I got to thinking that it wouldn't have been bad to have a little of it growing in one spot. I do have some bristly turtle grass growing on one rock and it looks quite nice and doesn't seem to spread.

Just a thought.