Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Video Update.
HI,

I thought instead of keeping a photo diary of the tank, I would start taking a video every 3 months on the tanks progress. Its very easy to forget how small that particular fish was, or how that coral has grown.
So I thought I would post video just taken on the 8.11.2015 and then again in another 3 months and see the changes.

I have had a bit of a crappy run with a few Gonipora's. I up until now have had no problem keeping them, extended and very healthy. Some for 2 yrs and others for less.
I have recently lost 5 of my reds, very sad day for me, as I have not only a lot of money invested in them, but have taken great care of them too.
I don't know what happened, but the 5 I lost, just started closing and then peeling away in the flow. I coral dipped, moved and fed to no avail.
What ever happened seemed to be Goni related only, no other coral was affected and it seems to have stopped now.
I did have a doser break on me and it was over a week before I noticed, I dose a lot and I had a massive ALk drop, so maybe it was that, i really don't know.
I had also added a little more Rowa phos than usual and it was suggested that I stripped phos too quickly.
The large one I had chopped in half ended up being chopped to about the size of a 50c piece urghhh.
But what ever it was its seem to have now stopped and all remaining Goni's appear to be healthy and peeling fee.
So a big thank you to those that helped me with this issue and got me back on track.

Here is a quick video I took with my Iphone, when I decided that I wanted to keep a video diary.( I am not a video-ographer by any means) Hope you enjoy.Even the out of focus bits. lol

Thanks once again.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Just a question, why the shrooms and shrimp in the sump?
shrooms are supposed to be very good at removing nutrients but can become a nuisance in the DT. The coral banded shrimp was given to us after a tank shut down, I heard they are not good with dragonets, so he lives in the sump. We have snails in there too, good cuc, nothing like a clean sump. lol

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I figured out the slime in your sump Lesley, but I'm not gonna tell you what it is. ;)

It's the bacterial film from vinegar dosing, I have it in the one quarantine system, it's EVERYWHERE. I looked at it under the microscope and sure enough it's bacterial.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I figured out the slime in your sump Lesley, but I'm not gonna tell you what it is. ;)

It's the bacterial film from vinegar dosing, I have it in the one quarantine system, it's EVERYWHERE. I looked at it under the microscope and sure enough it's bacterial.
But I don't dose ? I did vinegar bath my skimmer around that time. We rinsed it very well. But it's gone now. Thank god.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Sooooo nice Lesley! I want to see those shrooms graduate to the DT as well :) Just don't put them on the bommies, give them their own little area.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Sooooo nice Lesley! I want to see those shrooms graduate to the DT as well :) Just don't put them on the bommies, give them their own little area.
We have a lot of the blues already in the tank. They are a Bloody nuisance , taking over every rock we have. So we recently decided to fight blue against red. We have placed a lot of reds in amongst the rouge blues. Once they take hold I would honestly compare them to Xenia !!!!! If only we knew these things in the " newbie" stage. Sooooo many problems. :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
We have a lot of the blues already in the tank. They are a Bloody nuisance , taking over every rock we have. So we recently decided to fight blue against red. We have placed a lot of reds in amongst the rouge blues. Once they take hold I would honestly compare them to Xenia !!!!! If only we knew these things in the " newbie" stage. Sooooo many problems. :(
Yes it soooo hard when your corals grow too well! Tiny violin... :stop :D ;)