Reef Discussion

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Wall-tank Distance
Hey everyone, after some advice on the distance people have from their tank to the wall behind it.
More specifically tanks about 4 foot in length.
I'm thinking about 100mm so I can easily get in with an arm and an algae magnet scrapper. But I'm kinda hoping it can be closer.

Reason I ask is it will affect the wall bracket that will centre the lights over the tank.
Cheers!

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Far enough that it's easy to fit an arm behind it. You will drop things back there, you will need to get behind it so make it easy for yourself :P lol
My exact distance is: 110mm
20161024_220755.jpg

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with 100mm. I just stuck my arm against the wall and measured the widest point lol. 100mm should give me a little clearance so I'm not rubbing the paint all the time.

My wall bracket is only 40cm, with a 80cm wide tank and a 10cm gap I need to be 50cm off the wall.
I think some dressed pine across the studs maybe 50mm thick and then maybe another piece behind each bracket 50mm should bring it out far enough and look okay.
Or just get new brackets.. Haha :rofl

brendan88

Jul 3, 2015
Bigger the gap the better we have found. We can fit a vacuum head behind ours and actually slide in behind it which makes it easy for cleaning centre weir. But I agree with @Wrangy go the 100-110mm

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Bigger the gap the better we have found. We can fit a vacuum head behind ours and actually slide in behind it which makes it easy for cleaning centre weir. But I agree with @Wrangy go the 100-110mm
Good idea on the vacuum, I'll make sure I can do that. Will keep the missus happy to :D
100mm seems like a good space.
Thanks!

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I would leave enough room so you can reach behind the tank easily.

I would be hesitant of placing it right against a wall, as water will ineviatbly drip down there no matter how careful you are :)

What material is the wall?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Enough room to fit junk that wont fit in your cabinet after a year! I have two 400w halide ballasts behind mine, plus the RODI unit and a heap of other gear hahaha

@Dom, do you have a tissue on the fan or your light?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I would leave enough room so you can reach behind the tank easily.

I would be hesitant of placing it right against a wall, as water will ineviatbly drip down there no matter how careful you are :)

What material is the wall?
Wall is plaster board. So yea no water is good water.
My current tank is about about 60mm off the wall but only being 43cm wide it's easy to reach back still. The new tank being 120cm I reckon 100mm is a goer.

Enough room to fit junk that wont fit in your cabinet after a year! I have two 400w halide ballasts behind mine, plus the RODI unit and a heap of other gear hahaha

@Dom, do you have a tissue on the fan or your light?
Haha I know all about that.. Just moved my tank into the new place and somehow ballasts and battery backups are making it halfway up behind the stand..

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
After a major overflow in one of my tanks (morning, car accident > pain killers; afternoon, tank clean and top up > couch nap; 3 am, mop-up/insurance claim...) I moved the tank about 30cm out from the wall. It was a 5 sided corner tank and the way it fitted together in my lounge room with my other furniture you couldnt really notice it but it allowed my to get behind the tank, just, and i kept my ATO reservoir and NSW buckets behind there. Also made it really easy to clean up behind the rock scape. It wont work for everyone but if you can get behind your tank it is excellent for maintenance.