Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Week 2
Tank is still going well, though diatoms have appeared showing some cycle at least. Probably the new sand and a bit of transfer die off. Not worried about it.

Hard to get a pic of the plumbing, have to reach around.
image.jpg

The clamp is just for peace of mind to hold the spa flex in place.
image.jpg

Biopellets reactor still to go in
image.jpg

Current fuge setup. Deciding between this and cheato ...
image.jpg

Skimmer doing its job already
image.jpg

Had to cut out the stand back a bit to get the plumbing through
image.jpg

Diatoms
image.jpg

New purchase, hoping it will come good
image.jpg

Likewise got a bargain scoly, has nice flecks of green in it.
image.jpg

Clam is loving the space (was crowded in the old tank)
image.jpg

Current light setup. Plan Kessils eventually but these are doing a great job for now
image.jpg

Nice ripple from the return.
image.jpg

I tried using my mp10 despite the 12mm glass, and somehow I had dislodged the blades and it broke them off. So new mp10 wetside required... I ordered an RW8 instead from fish street.

That's it for now, new dry rock is soaking in RO and this weekend the scape begins.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hey mate, how do you find that over flow? Would you say it is silent?
Nope! Haha not yet anyway. @MTG just installed one and his is quiet, mine is still gurgling but so did the last one (ran this for 2 years on my last tank) and it beds in after a while, probably after some crap builds up in the pipes.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Nope! Haha not yet anyway. @MTG just installed one and his is quiet, mine is still gurgling but so did the last one (ran this for 2 years on my last tank) and it beds in after a while, probably after some crap builds up in the pipes.
yeah mines not to noisy!

chim do you have any pics how you adapted the hose to your parts? very interested

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Just used the spa flex directly send weld on 795 glue. I then bent the spa flex accordingly, which was a complete bitch to do - had to soften it in boiling water and even then it didn't bend very well.

image.jpg

Reactions: MTG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
interesting idea mounting sideways!
yeah i struggled but worked out a way in the end!
I had found a few pics of people doing it that way so thought I would give it a shot. In the end caused more hassle than it is worth I expect given the need to bend the spa flex around. Oh well, does the trick and my corner position means the space at teh back of the tnak is not an issue.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I had found a few pics of people doing it that way so thought I would give it a shot. In the end caused more hassle than it is worth I expect given the need to bend the spa flex around. Oh well, does the trick and my corner position means the space at teh back of the tnak is not an issue.
if i had a more open back i think the spa hose would have worked fine problem i ran into was the small cut out didn't alow me to bend it enough!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
With pumps off while I got some matting under the sump

image.jpg

Here's my bargain $16 scoly. Hope it survives, doing well so far. Bottom right is a nice yellow cup coral also $16.

image.jpg

Clam is happy ...

image.jpg

And tonight ... Glass is clean(ish)
image.jpg

Last edited:

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Looking good :) That Codium is making the rounds - you gave some to Bek who gave some to me, I absolutely love it. Other than how it might compare to other algaes with nutrient uptake - I'd stick with it - its so easy to keep tidy and clean and it doesn't leave bits of itself everywhere.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Looking good :) That Codium is making the rounds - you gave some to Bek who gave some to me, I absolutely love it. Other than how it might compare to other algaes with nutrient uptake - I'd stick with it - its so easy to keep tidy and clean and it doesn't leave bits of itself everywhere.
Yes it is great, grows in harsh conditions (I left some in my unheated algae filled tank for a month and it still was fine) and as you say is nice and easy to manage. No idea on the nutrient side of things, but I am not relying on that aspect anyway, keeping it more for pods etc. I also have a ball of chaeto in there, will see how they go together.