Tank Journal Archive

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
We're Not There Yet, But We're Getting There
So I've always wanted a reef tank but growing up in Ireland it was never quite attainable. I've just moved into a new place with the missus in Sydney, it seemed like the perfect time to go for it. The variety of fish and coral that can be aquired here is amazing...so we're both looking forward to getting the tank up and running.

So I've posted over on MASA (can't add a link, doh!) a few times but I've been spending more time reading on here, so I figured I'd kick off a TJ here. For the moment I've just got a mound of parts and lots of ideas...I felt like I needed a project

The rough plan for livestock is:
  • Two clownfish
  • A mandarin (way down the road, once we get a stable sump refugium up and running...and only if we make sure we can feed it)
  • Some else that tickles our fancy, we were thinking a Flame Angel but we're getting mixed reports about their compatibility with coral.
  • Some invertebrates, coral banded shrimp, snails, maybe a hermit crab and a small seastar or urchin
  • Anemone for the clownfish….I know they don’t need them but it is the iconic reef tank image
  • Some corals

There's bunch of custom work ahead of me:
  • Upgrade the stock PL-18w tubes, to a custom LED array (probably CREE based). I'm planning to build this into the existing hood (the aim is to do this after we start cycling but before we stock the tank).
  • Drill the tank to add a glass-holes overflow kit
  • Raspberry Pi and maybe Arduino as a controller, for everything I can figure out how to automate

So here is the tank, as it was when I got it...all empty and lonely, pining for clownfish

ai.imgur.com_kJucJuEl.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

I managed to pick it up off Gumtree, with a matching cabinet (and a bunch of testing kits). I've taken off the doors, while I was testing out potential sump tanks but I'll put them back on soon. Here's it on the stand.

ai.imgur.com_A1vZIhVl.jpg

I managed to pick up a Blue Planet Classic 40, which fit's into my cabinet, perfectly. I'm going to dremel off most of the black superstructure, so that it has a flat top, and to give me more room above it in the cabinet (for future ATO plans).

ai.imgur.com_PDQrxRsl.jpg

Today, my glass holes 700 overflow in/out kit arrived. I've debated about this kit more than anything else in the project so far....but I decided I couldn't put a price on peace of mind and a dry floor (also someone was very nice and bought it for my birthday :) ) Here it is in all it's glory....now onto the next debate, in the middle of the tank, or to the side....damn, I thought my soul-searchign was finished.

ai.imgur.com_5Y5MDA5l.jpg

I've also picked up a second hand Tunze 9004, which seems to be working fine...apart from the magnets but some glue should fix that.

I've gone with an Eheim Compact 2000+, which I had the first wet run with last night, while avoiding the rain. I'm pretty impressed with how little water they'll run fine in. The picture below is the pump running fine, with no bubbles, in only 11cm of water. This was the first time I'd gotten to put water in anything so I was way more excited that I should have been :p

ai.imgur.com_P2qg3dUl.jpg

Lastly, as I said I'm planning to automate this all with an Raspberry Pi...I had one of the first 2000 ever made, back home in Ireland but I figured it was time to invest in the latest and greatest Raspberry Pi 3. I also picked up a few water temp sensors and a humidity & air temp sensor, just to keep a track on how much that effects evaporation. Lookign forward to building out that part of the project as well. I'll put up more details on the custom LED mod, once I get my thoughts together on it.

Now if I can drill the tank, find some glass for baffles and get the sump sorted, then we'll be ready to start cycling in the next two weeks, hopefully. Guess I've got a list of chores for the weekend already :brb

Mate that's fantastic!! Love to see a motivated guy jump right in. Your stock list looks good and you are spot on about the mandarin and the flame. Sound like you have a good understanding of what's needed... So keep going and please ask what ever you need to. This site is awesome and the guys on here are top shelf people. Looking forward to your updates!! Remember to take it slow and keep it simple. Good luck!

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
Thanks....todays debate is, to filter sock, or not to filter sock. I'm designing the sump, so I can go either way but I'm not sure which way to go.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I personally don't filter sock, but did for years. I think it would be a good idea to make provisions for one and wether u use it or not can be decided whenever u want. For instance if u didn't run it and found there's was particulate in the water I'd add one for a couple days.
My experience in my tank at the moment is I'm getting no less detritus build up in my sump than when I ran one, and when I do a water change a quick vac of the bottom cleans any up.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Hi @mcclown and welcome to The Reefuge.

What test kits did you get with the tank? If they are API then I would suggest that you might want to get some replacements...

And, what temp sensors did you buy ?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Looking good!

Be careful when you drill the aqua one tank, for some reason they are really brittle and go bang really easily :dead

If you are happy to change them out at least once a week filter socks are really good. If you think that is not going to be you it's best off not having them.

Where abouts in Sydney are you located?

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
@MagicJ , thanks for the welcome.

I've picked up two DS18B20 waterproof sensors, to get me going. I went for the plastic coated ones, not the stainless steel variety, which I've heard still rust, sometimes.

I've also grabbed a DHT22 (temperature and relative humidity sensor), to monitor the conditions in my living room, just out of interest.

I'll probably pick up a 8 channel relay shortly, to automate the lighting at first, then the heaters next.

Last edited:

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
@NiCd thanks for the advice...I'll go very slow with it. I'm living in St. Peters and working in North Sydney, so I've ben picking up parts all over the city.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I am guessing the guys at aquaristic will be your new best friends :)

If you feel like a trip down south to the shire and want someone else to blow up your tank for you in their garage, I have picked up a new diamond hole saw set that I am lead to believe is a lot better than the ebay ones I have used in the past.

Otherwise, let me know when you get it wet and ill donate a test piece of GSPfor you to love at first and then slowly watch it take over your entire tank and then wonder if you still love it :) - I work at Greenwich so not that far.

mcclown

Mar 12, 2017
@NiCd yes, I've been in Aquaristic...they seem like great guys. I live directly above another shop but I didn't like the advice I got there as much. Auqaristic will be getting lots of my business.

Thanks for the offer but I managed to not blow up my tank, all by myself :) I just posted an update. I'll take you up on that offer of GSP, once I'm up an running. Did I see, on here somewhere, that you have may have some CUC occasionally as well?

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Congrats on not blowing it up :)

Yeah I can help out with turbos and a few others bits and bobs when it comes time

Wallypops

Apr 13, 2017
Well done man, very inspiring stuff. Hope to one day get to this level with my tank. I've just started in the hobby so really just practising at the moment trying to get as informed on it all.