Reef Discussion

Morphology

Not all mushrooms are kept in the dark...
Oct 6, 2013
Aspendale
We're Shutting Down :(
It's a sad decision I made over the new year, but our business idea of propagated corals has not worked out for us. The time, money and devotion needed to make this a successful venture has not been something I could commit to.

I think many other people have discovered this for themselves in Australia - it can be great when you're using your sump to propagate the odd coral as it grows from your main tank. However, the costs involved in scaling up are massive, and propagated corals are just not competitive with our very good pricing in Australia. As a result, the market demand isn't there like it is in the USA where you can sell a micron of something for $100.

So, with the exception of equipment, corals, and fish I am keeping alive for a fellow reefer, everything is up for grabs. It really kills me to give up but I can't argue with reality anymore.

So, everything is $10, with 20% off for reefuge members for 10+ items. This includes 3ft tanks. Live and cooked (dead) rock is $2 a kg. I have about 3-4 60L buckets of dead rock. I'll throw in snails and chaeto for free with any purchase. Give me a SMS or call on 0476553828 to organise a time on a weekend to have a look at the stuff I have. There's plenty of zoas, palys, chalice, morphs (all types), and softies.

Holly

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Sad to hear Holly, I'd love to get out for a look but not sure when I'll get the chance. I do have to come out your way in 4 weeks, perhaps if there are still things left then?

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Incredibly sad to hear this Holly. Alas I know your pain - the costs are excessive - especially for us folks in Vic where we really do invest a ridiculous amount of money into simple things like literally keeping the lights on. I've scaled down myself - kids, wife, wanting to buy a house, etc,. all provide additional taxation upon the two major resources these ventures need: time and money.

If I was closer, I'd be around to have a sticky beak and relieve you of some stock whilst trying to convince myself that one day I'll I get my own business back to the point where I'm awake at stupid oclock 3 days a week to pack orders, so "investing" money is still ok.

Sometimes the hardest decisions are the right ones. Trying and failing is close to success; it's two brothers - the one that never tried, and the other that didn't know when to call it a day.. not so much.

Good luck with the shut down, and more importantly, all the best for what you do next.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
You guys are always welcome around, I'll never entirely shut down a tank. I've had more than one running for the last 14 years and I don't think I could ever give it all up. @Sam Parker I'm sure there will be stuff left. @Buddy look forward to it, you need some of those beaut rics for your tank let me know :)
@DavidS and @IJG3145 yes I was spending upwards of $750 a quarter to keep everything running and at the right temp. The hoarding urge is strong in us reefers, but the sunk cost fallacy cannot be ignored once you realise where you've gotten yourself! I look forward to settling back into one tank and sharing progress on the reefuge again.

As to what I'm doing - I started a psychologist/tutoring business called Brave HQ (shameless plug) in Clayton. As a person that always had too many things on the go, it's been good to focus and devote myself to something full time. I can't wait to move into a more permanent business location where a tank is a feature of the space. I certainly know I'll have the equipment for it!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
@DavidS and @IJG3145 yes I was spending upwards of $750 a quarter to keep everything running and at the right temp.
I need to use your power company!!!!! My power bills have been around $400 a month before discounts (yes, a month), and I've scaled back my tanks to get down to that. Meh.. it's just money. I'll just go back to work, and forgo something else I want to pay extortionate power prices lol.

Good luck with your new business!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Sad to hear Holly, but it;s probably relief for you now that the decision has been made.

Heating is the biggest issue I have with my shed, and I suspect you had the same problem - winter temperatures are probably a bit colder in Hobart than Melbourne, although I still remember some very cold mornings standing on the McKinnon train platform for the 6.25am train :)

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Sad to hear Holly, but it;s probably relief for you now that the decision has been made.

Heating is the biggest issue I have with my shed, and I suspect you had the same problem - winter temperatures are probably a bit colder in Hobart than Melbourne, although I still remember some very cold mornings standing on the McKinnon train platform for the 6.25am train :)
Winter and summer were equal killers. We had lights on overnight to keep the tanks warmer and covers on to retain heat. Summer we had cooling costs, but year round it seemed the price didn't fluctuate all that much (maybe $200 up in the extreme temps per month).

A lot of relief but still very sad. Haven't even thought if anyone wants to buy a couple of 10ft tanks off me lol.

Annabellam

Jan 17, 2017
Sorry to hear but a business has to make money, so i understand. An end to one thing is aways a beginning to another, so wish you well in your new en devours.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Well, at least you had a good go at it!

I found breeding and selling African Cichlids (especially Calvus) a worthwhile hobby. But you have to start with good stock. Also, your bread and butter stuff like Electric Yellows and Bristlenose Catfish always bring in good money. The only issue with bread and butter fish is dealing with some of the customers...

For me though it gave me less time to appreciate my show tank and made the hobby more of an onerous task. That was why I sold my breeding stock.

I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to establish on a proftiable-scale a coral propogation business.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I need to use your power company!!!!! My power bills have been around $400 a month before discounts (yes, a month), and I've scaled back my tanks to get down to that. Meh.. it's just money. I'll just go back to work, and forgo something else I want to pay extortionate power prices lol.

Good luck with your new business!
Ours were about $1800 per 3 months.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sorry to hear this Holly. If your government would allow export of frags, you'd have another revenue stream. Here in the USA, anything that's Australian fetches damn good money.