Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
What Is Pink Slime After Nopox Regime?
The No3 has now come down to almost undetectable (from my API kit, the only that I have :p ).

It was approx. 40 ppm and has taken its course over approx. 2 months or so.

I have now cut down the dose to half and perhaps I'm still overdosing as I found pink slime all over my sump.

I don't know if I'm supposed to leave it there or pull it out, which I've decided to do the latter as it looks ugly and disgusting.

The color is pink and the consistency is slime (not spongy).

Should I stop dosing NoPox completely?

ai.imgur.com_yAwEL2x.jpg

ai.imgur.com_VIPBGyi.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Its pretty much the same slime as I am getting from Vodka dosing (which is effectively the same thing - organic carbon dosing).

I am finding it all over the display tank as well. Seems I am forever cleaning it off everything - hence why I am now considering a Bio-pellet or Sulphur reactor.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
With a sulphur reactor you will eventually get the same sort of crap in the reactor. Comes out like a white snot type deal, smells great too :)

But at least it is restricted to the reactor and only needs to be cleaned once a year or so :P

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
The No3 has now come down to almost undetectable (from my API kit, the only that I have :p ).

It was approx. 40 ppm and has taken its course over approx. 2 months or so.

I have now cut down the dose to half and perhaps I'm still overdosing as I found pink slime all over my sump.

I don't know if I'm supposed to leave it there or pull it out, which I've decided to do the latter as it looks ugly and disgusting.

The color is pink and the consistency is slime (not spongy).

Should I stop dosing NoPox completely?

View attachment 56422

View attachment 56423
I had it of ages, could find out what it was, stopped the no pox and it went away, i have started the no pox again and it is com tin back,perhaps red sea can help

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
It is expected. It's the bacteria you are trying to grow using Carbon. It has to grow somewhere.