Tank Journal Archive

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
What Is This Worm???
Any ideas? And anyone know anything about it. Defs not a bristle as i have many of those.
Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 12.22.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 12.22.51 AM.png

lukusis

Sep 3, 2014
Pretty sure thats the Predator Arnie had so many issues with........ :p

B.Fenner of WWM id's it as a bristleworm, but doesnt mention the family.

RC has a thread naming it a eunice worm (a nuisance/pest), and another thread with a similar worm named a oenone worm (again, a nuisance/pest).

I would remove it asap personally......

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Pretty sure thats the Predator Arnie had so many issues with........ :p

B.Fenner of WWM id's it as a bristleworm, but doesnt mention the family.

RC has a thread naming it a eunice worm (a nuisance/pest), and another thread with a similar worm named a oenone worm (again, a nuisance/pest).

I would remove it asap personally......
Any ideas on how to remove

E

ezza

Eunice worms classically have a white band around the 5th segment from the head.

I only succeeded by pulling the rock out and shooting peroxide and fresh water through it. The worms just fell out into the bucket I did it in. I had a few Eunice worms as well as my monster 30cm long fireworm.

E

ezza

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I just rescaped a section and had my rock out of the water for a while. It led to yet another de-worming. I had several Eunice and large fireworms. The longest was about 40cm. It is utterly nuts. I cut the rock up and drilled through it and found these big bastards deep inside the chunks of rock. It never ends!

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
View attachment 52730 View attachment 52731 I just rescaped a section and had my rock out of the water for a while. It led to yet another de-worming. I had several Eunice and large fireworms. The longest was about 40cm. It is utterly nuts. I cut the rock up and drilled through it and found these big bastards deep inside the chunks of rock. It never ends!
Also do you reckon I can just dip the entire rock with peroxide? it has 3 rics and some zoas on it

E

ezza

Also do you reckon I can just dip the entire rock with peroxide? it has 3 rics and some zoas on it
Been there, done that! The Zoas will be fine, the Rics might be grouchy for a by but they will also pull through beautifully. I have used 35% peroxide on LPS with no issues (brief sulking). If you have SPS, avoid adding peroxide as they will bleach. The bleaching event in nature is actually the coral producing peroxide naturally which then kills off the coral. LPS like Zoas are hardy buggers because they tend to live in extreme environments.

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Been there, done that! The Zoas will be fine, the Rics might be grouchy for a by but they will also pull through beautifully. I have used 35% peroxide on LPS with no issues (brief sulking). If you have SPS, avoid adding peroxide as they will bleach. The bleaching event in nature is actually the coral producing peroxide naturally which then kills off the coral. LPS like Zoas are hardy buggers because they tend to live in extreme environments.
Awesome, thankyou