Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Whats A Good Source To Add No3 To A Tank?
Hey all,

I've been Vodka dosing and over the course of 6 weeks I have reduced my Nitrates to virtually zero but the phosphates are now starting to climb (Redfield is out of whack).

So.... How do i add NO3 to my tank?

Thanks in advance.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Hi Macca coincidence I was reading your post whilst you tagged me :p

I do still use it on all my systems to great effect. I find I need to get it back up to at least 0.5 for the corals like chalice and morphs to grow well, SPS seems to be happy with a lower level. Recommended levels is for 0.03 phos and 3ppm NO3.

I tend to find it a bit dynamic testing each week I will add more if its below 0.8 and less when it goes over 1ppm. This seems to be a good balance on my tanks. I also tweak the carbon dose each week as well adding more when above 0.04-5 and less when 0.01.

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Thansk Pete (aka @Oceanarium ) - definitely the definitive guide I will be sticking to.

And you mix 500g of the powder to make 5L of solution? On a 8x2x2 should I start dosing at around 3ml per day and see what happens?

Cheers

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I mix 100g to the ltr, each system I have has a differing consumption (markedly) per day from 6ml per 1000ltrs up to 30ml (Edited not 130 my fat fingers) per 1000ltrs.

I would start at the 3ml, after a week test and increase by a ml every week if required keeping the carbon dose the same. Till you see NO3 start to build up.

Taking it slow helps get that balance, between the N and P consumption and limits the chance of overshooting or a bacteria bloom. I do also notice changes in the bacteria types when they are out of balance you can get bacteria bio films etc. So a slow process helps the bacteria populations progress as they may be differing strain / species involved as you move towards the balance.

Last edited:

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I should also add a rapid swing in nitrate can upset the corals, gentle swings allow them the time to adapt.

I see people bump into problems when they decide to make the NO3 from 0 to 3ppm overnight.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Keen to see/hear how this goes. After cleaning out my sulphur reactor, it is cranking fairly hard and my nitrates are getting lower than I'd like for a mixed reef.

@macca_75 - might have to swap you some cal/alk/mag/potassium supplement for some nitrate supplement?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Ordered this

http://auschems.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=55 - < $30 delivered. Pete from @Oceanarium uses it so it's good enough for me.

@potatocouch - that won't work as the PO4 is out of balance and will climb.

@Sam Parker - based on science??? Interested in any article/s you have or may have stumbled across.
That's what I used when my tank had the same issue. I set up the nitrate solution on my doser and monitored to create a gradual increase. Unfortunately I had to shut the tank down to move before I saw the full result and impact on phosphates.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Keen to see/hear how this goes. After cleaning out my sulphur reactor, it is cranking fairly hard and my nitrates are getting lower than I'd like for a mixed reef.

@macca_75 - might have to swap you some cal/alk/mag/potassium supplement for some nitrate supplement?
you got it

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I mix 100g to the ltr, each system I have has a differing consumption (markedly) per day from 6ml per 1000ltrs up to 30ml (Edited not 130 my fat fingers) per 1000ltrs.

I would start at the 3ml, after a week test and increase by a ml every week if required keeping the carbon dose the same. Till you see NO3 start to build up.

Taking it slow helps get that balance, between the N and P consumption and limits the chance of overshooting or a bacteria bloom. I do also notice changes in the bacteria types when they are out of balance you can get bacteria bio films etc. So a slow process helps the bacteria populations progress as they may be differing strain / species involved as you move towards the balance.
3ml per day starting dose - perfect. Thanks.