Reef Discussion

BlakeyBoyR

Aug 5, 2014
Which Controller Is Best For Me? (apex? Profilux)
Hi guys. Many of you have seen my earlier thread about going on my honeymoon later in the year. As I'm a stress head and hate the idea of not knowing what's going on with the tank in my absence, I've decided I need an aquarium controller that I can monitor from overseas.
Many of the controllers are quite capable of controlling everything in the tank, but their ability to log data and have it accessed from outside the home network, varies.
So, this leads me to my question. Which controller do you think would be best for me, when I'm accessing the controller from Japan/USA?
I'd love to be able to log in, check my Ph, turn a light on/off etc.
I've obviously done my research but haven't really found a satisfactory answer to my question.
Thanks in advance :)

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
OK, this is a long question! I'll attempt to answer for you.

First thing to consider, what is your level of technical ability? Second thing to consider, what are you comfortable spending on a monitor/controller? Thirdly, what do you think you will really need to monitor and/or control? Lastly, what do you monitor on your tank when you are home?

OK lets go into more detail:

1. I ask what is your level of technical ability as believe it or not, the "off-the-shelf" controllers out there are not so simple to set-up. Once set-up, they aren't bad to use though, but setting up requires some fairly decent networking skills, know your way around a computer and sadly, have half an idea on coding. (shouldn't need the coding, but in reality, to do anything decent with a controller at the moment - you do need these skills...)

2. If your buying new and you want an apex to do some half decent stuff, your going to need about a grand. More if you want to monitor all sorts of parameters (well, just stuff that when home you don't normally worry about anyway like PH, ORP and temp...) Even used, your looking at $500+ for a basic setup.

3. Control/Monitor. Don't get me wrong, I love to keep an eye on my tank, especially if you are a long way from home. But the question comes back to what do you really want to monitor/control? Obviously seeing the tank in action is great, but you don't need a thousand dollar controller to do that. As far as monitoring goes, you can keep an eye on temp, ph, maybe salinity and maybe ORP. Do you expect anything odd to happen there? If you did notice your PH had dropped a bit whilst in Japan, what would be your course of action?

4. My last point is, a controller wont let you keep an eye on nitrates, alk, calcium, phosphate etc. (yet anyway!) whilst away from home. When your home, you probably don't worry too much about PH, ORP, maybe temp and salinity so much, so why monitor them when away?

OK - where has my ramble led to? If your dead set on a controller, go for it. They are awesome fun! But perhaps, consider a web cam or two. I have a couple that I use, one to watch the tank, one to watch the sump (which also conveniently shows me my Cal reactor PH, ORP and temp. Plus skimmer function, filter socks, all my reactors, RO storage etc.) I do also have another device which monitors and alerts me if something happens - but I don't use or rely on that much any more.

What would you want to turn on/off remotely? That can be done easily without a controller too (there are various remote control sockets available online now that allow control from your smart phone anywhere in the world), but if it were me - I'd make it so that they switch themselves on/off when required. If you can give me some examples of what you want to switch on/off, I'll see what I can do!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@BlakeyBoyR - I have one of @Rob Raspberry PI. It has pH, ORP and a few temp probes (Room temp, tank temp and 1 I cable tie to the heater to monitor if the heater is on or off). I also have 1 webcam pointed at the DT so I can take a general glimpse of the tank (have the lights turned on, are there bubbles (ATO reservoir is empty/unplugged, etc).

I can have it email alerts if I want and I will be hooking a few more webcams up so I can visually inspect skimmer, ATO reservoir, etc.

Should I ever find myself with nothing to do and spare time on my hands I'll also hook some other components on for current reservoir volume, NSW tank volume (automated water changes), etc.

Cheap, expandable, but you will need a little IT knowledge.

I'd be happy to setup the initial what I have for the cost of parts for you and there is a thread on this forum where others have added content.

But it's not off the shelf like APEX, NETPUNE, etc.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
My opinion does not count in this case so take it with a pinch of salt .
I've always wanted a controller and almost went out and got the full profilux system.
However...
I've been on holidays for up to six weeks at a time on many occasions in the last five years of keeping my dream reefs.
My house sitters are usually my wife's girlfriends or even parents of girlfriends visiting from overseas.

First up I attribute the success of coming home to an even better aquarium than when I left due to -

•Calcium reactor ( I use no ph controller , I recommend you control your reactor with one)
•Auto water top off- simple just add RODI
•Bacteria driven system (Zeovit)
•Simple instructions for house sitter.
•Check in weekly via email.

My house sitters do not test any water or anything complicated.

But hey...... I saw a great controller called reef angel it's the ducks guts @CodyS please chime in!

BlakeyBoyR

Aug 5, 2014
Hi guys, thanks for the replies :)

Sam I'm fairly tech savvy but wouldn't be comfortable coding that's for sure. I hear you about "What would you do if your pH started to drop?". I guess I'd call someone to get out there and see what's going on. I think being able to monitor is about peace of mind as much as anything else. I'd like to be able to turn lights on and off plus perhaps my skimmer or return if need be. I'm definitely considering webcams now you've mentioned it.

Macca - I don't think I'm at your level of tech expertise to be comfortable with a non off the shelf solution but I truly appreciate the offer.

Slin - You're right about clear directions etc. and I'll certainly make sure I cover that. As for the Reef Angel, Cody is far more technically capable than me. I'm not comfortable coding etc. which would be needed with the RA.

I really appreciate people taking the time to respond and help me out.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
IP cameras are so good these days, hd stream, optical zoom, two way audio and easy setup. Not to mention they are cheap!

If you have a digital display of temp, ph, orp you can monitor them easy. True, it doesn't log the trends or alert you of something goes out of range - but it's easier to build that in.

I'd bet that you wouldn't want to switch off your return with no one at the house? Lights I'm curious in too? Skimmer, that's easy to build in to self shut off if cup is full or sump water level is high. Temp controllers are a simple peace of mind - when I was minding a friends tank while he was away at summer, I left a huge fan right in front of the tank that was controlled by the temp controller. No way was I going to let that tank over heat on my watch, even though it supposedly doesn't need it as the house stays cool - not on my watch! I used to do the same with my tank if leaving it overnight, would line up a row of basic house fans at the sump and display tank and plug into temp controller.

Anyway, enough rambling from me! I really seem to come across anti controller which is so far from the truth, in just waiting for a couple people I know to finish a controller that will actually be up to scratch in my eyes.

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
My opinion does not count in this case so take it with a pinch of salt .
I've always wanted a controller and almost went out and got the full profilux system.
However...
I've been on holidays for up to six weeks at a time on many occasions in the last five years of keeping my dream reefs.
My house sitters are usually my wife's girlfriends or even parents of girlfriends visiting from overseas.

First up I attribute the success of coming home to an even better aquarium than when I left due to -

•Calcium reactor ( I use no ph controller , I recommend you control your reactor with one)
•Bacteria driven system (Zeovit)
•Simple instructions for house sitter.
•Check in weekly via email.

My house sitters do not test any water or anything complicated.

But hey...... I saw a great controller called reef angel it's the ducks guts @CodyS please chime in!

Just noted you posted on RO/DI and getting a simple set up done. I have an RO/DI set up on my system but for the life of me do not know how to simply set up the RO/DI to top off and shut down on its own??????

Can you give me some clues please ?

Nicksy23

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
IP cameras are so good these days, hd stream, optical zoom, two way audio and easy setup. Not to mention they are cheap!

If you have a digital display of temp, ph, orp you can monitor them easy. True, it doesn't log the trends or alert you of something goes out of range - but it's easier to build that in.

I'd bet that you wouldn't want to switch off your return with no one at the house? Lights I'm curious in too? Skimmer, that's easy to build in to self shut off if cup is full or sump water level is high. Temp controllers are a simple peace of mind - when I was minding a friends tank while he was away at summer, I left a huge fan right in front of the tank that was controlled by the temp controller. No way was I going to let that tank over heat on my watch, even though it supposedly doesn't need it as the house stays cool - not on my watch! I used to do the same with my tank if leaving it overnight, would line up a row of basic house fans at the sump and display tank and plug into temp controller.

Anyway, enough rambling from me! I really seem to come across anti controller which is so far from the truth, in just waiting for a couple people I know to finish a controller that will actually be up to scratch in my eyes.
Sam

Also looking at your posts as they come up I have a feeling you have an understanding and ability to get the tank set up done well. There are a few small things i would like to improve on my system and you seem to have a higher knowledge on these than most.

For example IP cameras are so good these days, hd stream, optical zoom, two way audio and easy setup. Not to mention they are cheap! I have no idea where to start.
Auto top off with RO DI ???? Again simple i am sure but i am struggling

I have a an APEX so makes things even easier if the knowledge is there.

Appreciate any help

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Haha certainly have no better knowledge than others, I just talk too much LOL

Shoot me a message with what you'd like setup on your tank and I'll see what I can sort out for you. Automated RO reservoir filling isn't too hard and a number of other tricks (especially if you already have an apex) can make life easier.

Definitely dounds like I need to come over for a visit!

BlakeyBoyR

Aug 5, 2014
I bought myself a Smart ATO so hopefully I won't really need to 'control' my top off, the ATO should just do it by itself. That is, of course, unless it's a better idea to get an ATO that works with the controller?
Sam you don't sound anti-controller, it just sounds like you have a very clear idea of what you're looking for and whether or not current products can achieve that.
In terms of lights, I suppose I'd like to be able to control them in case I see algae start to be a problem, I can cut the photo period etc.
I don't think I'm capable enough to rig up and auto-shutoff to my skimmer cup?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
For automation RODI, I was meaning more along the lines of your reservoir. But if your going away for a period of time, you can also just use a larger reservoir that you know will last that long :)

Skimmer shut off, I can do that for you mate - easy :)

As for the lights, I wouldn't react to seeing algae on an IP cam and turn off the lights for a day or even a few hours. Better off keeping things consistent till your back in person. Besides, your likely to get a decent amount of algae on the glass due to it not being cleaned, but it is nothing to worry about

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
For automation RODI, I was meaning more along the lines of your reservoir. But if your going away for a period of time, you can also just use a larger reservoir that you know will last that long :)

Skimmer shut off, I can do that for you mate - easy :)

As for the lights, I wouldn't react to seeing algae on an IP cam and turn off the lights for a day or even a few hours. Better off keeping things consistent till your back in person. Besides, your likely to get a decent amount of algae on the glass due to it not being cleaned, but it is nothing to worry about
I'd be willing to bet your tank will go better while you are away if you keep temp and ATO working. When people keep there hands out of the tank and let the tank do it's thing (algae on glass and all) things really start to thrive.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Also, a great investment

Ehiem Auto feeder

Feed small amounts often (up to 8 times a day) and get your fish used to pellets before you go away. That way you know the fish will get the right amount of food (not over/under fed by a well meaning tank sitter) and the tank will remain stable in terms of food going in.

Oh yeah - also means you can be a little more lazy when you are around and enjoy the tank more.

CodyS

Sep 22, 2012
I'm actually not very happy with the Wifi expansion on my RA.

The way it is setup if you connect it to be accesible outside of your network it can be easily hacked. So it is effectively only functional at home (actually not a biggy for me).

I like the rest of the controller so other than that it has worked very well :)

BlakeyBoyR

Aug 5, 2014
You're WAY more handy than me Cody. I don't think I'm able to program/code the RA like you have.