Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

White Spot. Bleh
It appears that my fox face has white spot. I noticed his body was somewhat bumpy the other day, today he has black dots with white spots atop them all over his body. I am sad :(

I had a rather distressing week over the last week and I have no memory of whether I did a water change or not. I think I might have missed it. I know the nitrates had risen slightly (from increased algal bloom and appearance of coral). I'll step up the water changes and try to ensure stability and tranquility. I had tried out a different food type, but my fish don't respond to it at all. I've stopped bothering with that for now.

I'll also throw in seachem stability and prime. I find it effective in helping balance things.

E

ezza

Irrits ahoy. We were going to go and fill some containers of NSW at Terrigal today but were stopped by a probable Marine Biologist and one of about 5 police officers at the boat ramp. Just as I was lowering my container, they asked what I intended to do with the water. Apparently there was an algal bloom there. It wasn't very easy to tell. It apparently gave the water a brownish tinge but aside from the normal turgidity of shore breaking water with sand flopping around, it was kinda normal looking to me. So we packed the containers up and will just have to deal with what we have. I'm not really able to get new salt until Saturday, I'll monitor things and use what I have and perhaps not do as big a change as I would have liked mid-week.

E

ezza

The way I dealt with this was to do very little. I went down the avenue of not panicking and just trying to make the fish less stressed. I changed water, I fed them well and I treated them with Melafix. The whitespot went away after a few days and all the fish are fine now.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
The way I dealt with this was to do very little. I went down the avenue of not panicking and just trying to make the fish less stressed. I changed water, I fed them well and I treated them with Melafix. The whitespot went away after a few days and all the fish are fine now.
how did you go with the melafix , is it safe for corals? i am using medic to treat at the moment, and did you us UV light with treatment,i am told to turn mine off

E

ezza

As I said in another thread, try the tri-sulpha. It works and is cheap. I still use melafix. It has never harmed any fish or corals. I do not have a uv light.

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Another method is hyposalinity but you want a refractometer before you try it. Its a fair bit more involved but drastic times sometimes call for drastic measures. I have not heard about using melafix and I advise against using triple-sulpha, its likely to kill lots of things in a reef that its best not to kill. If you can move fish to a Q tank, then copper is excellent, have used cupramine and oodonex with good results. Worth getting a copper test kit to get best results. Leaving reef tank barren of fish will starve out the parasite. Medic and UV and garlic, can all help but are aimed at keeping fish alive, rather than totally wiping out the parasite. A bit of a nitrate spike could have been the trigger, but I would have a think about as could be something else stressing them. Rabbit fish are not know to be super delicate as far as nitrates go.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Another method is hyposalinity but you want a refractometer before you try it. Its a fair bit more involved but drastic times sometimes call for drastic measures. I have not heard about using melafix and I advise against using triple-sulpha, its likely to kill lots of things in a reef that its best not to kill. If you can move fish to a Q tank, then copper is excellent, have used cupramine and oodonex with good results. Worth getting a copper test kit to get best results. Leaving reef tank barren of fish will starve out the parasite. Medic and UV and garlic, can all help but are aimed at keeping fish alive, rather than totally wiping out the parasite. A bit of a nitrate spike could have been the trigger, but I would have a think about as could be something else stressing them. Rabbit fish are not know to be super delicate as far as nitrates go.
thank you, should i use the medic and UV light at the same time, and i have had a nitrate spike

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
The product blurb says "UV filter can be use 1 hour after product has been add to the aquarium/sump". I have turned it off in the past, that will teach me for not reading the instructions :eek

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
The product blurb says "UV filter can be use 1 hour after product has been add to the aquarium/sump". I have turned it off in the past, that will teach me for not reading the instructions :eek
thanks, all the instructions that came with the bottle said is do not use uv while treating

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
thanks, all the instructions that came with the bottle said is do not use uv while treating
Just sent email to polyp lab asking about this, they said yes you can turn on UV 1 hour later, that they will amend the instructions that come with the bottle,they said do not use ozone......what is that?

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
Ozone is an alternative method similar to UV that uses gas pumped into the aquarium to kill small things in the water. Its useful on very large aquariums, but not without risk as you dont want to fill your house up with ozone gas, so best not to go cheap on a setup and to do your research before you set it up. It can work well on large tanks though and is cost effective. Popular in public aquaria for example.