Aug 2, 2011
Who dips with(oops)-their corals?
And I don't mean in a spa!

Why do you do it?
What do you use?

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
I find melafix 10-20ml/ltr seawater a good tester dip, if you dip the coral in an icecream container or the like and then look for bugs in the solution it might not give a 100% kill or remove eggs etc but it does give you a good indication on what may be on the corals. It will rid your corals of AEFW, ACEOL baby drupella, whelks etc (not the eggs) and is super kind to the corals I have never had a bad reaction to the dip, the coral is usually back to normal PE within minutes.

For the nuke option acro bugs and the like 1/2 tab of Milbemax for cats 2.5ltrs for several hours in an agitated seawater. It will kill all the micro life but the coral comes through in perfect condition. I don't know if it affects eggs of a number of species.

It is a bigger effort and time to go the nuke than a simple dip, so my method is to melafix dip and QT everything then observe with a high power magnifying glass over a few weeks (time for eggs to hatch). If I have a positive bug ID or doubts then i do the nuke option.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Maybe I'm too naive, but I've never done it...I try and have a very good look at the piece and pick off anything "yucky"...well other than the very first piece I was given that had bubble algae on it...nearly all gone, but made me look at everything since!!

Gunnie

Dec 13, 2011
I dip everything that goes into the tank, and I am using ReVive coral cleaner by TwoLittleFishies (it smells just like Melafix so similar stuff i reckon)

I have used this on clams, frags, big colonies, live rock rubble. Call me paranoid but I didn't dip anything at all last time and had some problems with AEFW

You can see everything shoot out of the corals, mainly pods, but bristle stars, crabs, worms, it always surprises me how much living stuff can be on even the tinniest piece of coral of live rock rubble.

Im pretty bad with acclimtisation, i chuck everything into a bucket or box, then scoop in tank water by the cupful, then when i feel the ratio between my tank water and the bagwater is right, i will just add the ReViVe, let it sit for 5-10 mins and chuck all my coral/clam in the tank. Sometimes I have also been lazy and added the ReViVe straight into the bag water , dip the coral in that give it a shake and take it out and straight in the tank (when i know the coral i got it from has similar water conditions to mine), wouldnt recommend it, but its worked for me :P

malau

Oct 13, 2011
Now instead of dip the things, I have a QT tank with banana wrasse to do the job for me... I normally let the corals ..etc sit there for at least a month before I issue all clear...