Reef Discussion

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Who Has A Reef At Work ? Suggestions
I am moving offices in january and was thinking of putting a nano tank at work. New office faces north so could have the option of a lot of natural light.

Current Considerations
Nano reef: I could use quite a few frags from my main tank, and maintain it by water changes and forget the skimmer.
Planted Tank :Going back to my roots when I kept planted discus tanks, although this was far more maintenance than a reef. I could not stop myself going co2 / ph controlled.

So any suggestions on a small AIO nano tank to start the conversation..... I'm sure I could cobble together from members enough parts to make a reasonable DIY light :)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Hi everyone,

Several years ago now, I had a government job in Sydney and I bought an Aquamedic Yasha all-in-one tank and set it up at my desk. Miserable failure as higher person said it had to go.

But, a few lessons learnt: I had also the view of taking a few bits and pieces from my main reef tank at home and putting those pieces into a small reef tank at work. I don't think it is worthwhile. You have to think about:

air conditioning and evaporation
maintenance in your work time or staying back after work if allowed
your only there five days a week and you might have to dismantle it during the Christmas shutdown
electrical issues and OH&S
work policies
colleagues do not tolerate mishaps

If you had a work environment where you could set up a tank, you'd be better off setting up a big one with a very very low bioload so it basically takes care of itself.

If I were to set up a tank at work I would probably set up a very simple freshwater tank and keep small African Cichlids as I think maintaining a high alkaline tank with a lid is actually very very easy. All you need is a good filter for biological filtration, a light and heater, gravel, some holy rock, fish and maybe some java fern. Even a family of multis, or a pair of Brevis, or a small school of electric yellows can look fantastic.

I do think a cycled reef tank smells less than a freshwater tank, which is a concern when those picky fwit colleagues come poking about cause they get jealous.

I think evaporation and the number of electrical items you require are the biggest issues aside from human pests.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I am moving offices in january and was thinking of putting a nano tank at work. New office faces north so could have the option of a lot of natural light.

Current Considerations
Nano reef: I could use quite a few frags from my main tank, and maintain it by water changes and forget the skimmer.
Planted Tank :Going back to my roots when I kept planted discus tanks, although this was far more maintenance than a reef. I could not stop myself going co2 / ph controlled.

So any suggestions on a small AIO nano tank to start the conversation..... I'm sure I could cobble together from members enough parts to make a reasonable DIY light :)
I have the heat sink,power supply and boards you need for the DIY light ;)

Hell, it still has the LED's on it if you want but I figure a nice little 5 in 1 chip (you pick the LED's) or 2 - could even make a similar combo based on ratio to what you have at home - 2 chips and you could have all 9 control lines.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
After some review think i have fallen for a 32l fluval flex. Fresh water is probably the go as reef maybe a little over the top. May start with a gold fish cycle and work up from there to tropical planted.

Thanks macca

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
After some review think i have fallen for a 32l fluval flex. Fresh water is probably the go as reef maybe a little over the top. May start with a gold fish cycle and work up from there to tropical planted.

Thanks macca
Dislike button....:cry

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
OK, after thinking about this its definitely a planted nano. something like 20-34 litres.

I am torn between spending lots or little. I am thinking I may in fact start with a kmart $29.90 aquarium kit (20L with submerged foam filter) get a compact florescence desk lamp and then spend the money on substrate and some CO2.

Anyone know of a good planted nano site here in Oz.... ?
Blasphemous I know even to suggest such a thing however anybody else want to see if a reefer can create a planted nano in 2018 ?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Just go with something basic then when your colleagues have gotten into it, upgrade to amaze them!

Whatever you do, do not go with goldfish.

I have been through the Lionhead/Oranda phase and can say they are a lot harder to keep long term than simple tropical.

Have a look at a small shallow planted tank with driftwood and with Celestial Pearl Danios. They look amazing in a school, are tiny, manageable, and sellable if you abandon the project. I think they need neutral pH, which is an advantage when it comes to evaporation.

I think the little Fluval Edge tanks look amazing. But, there's also a tiny CADE with light that looks great too.

If you get small fish that also consume algae they can take care of themselves over the weekend and possibly during holidays away.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I adore danios :D Killifish would be pretty amazing too!
flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I'm thinking about my work tank as well and I think it'll either be the CADE Pro Reef Mini or a Neptunian Cube (35 or 45cm one)

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I adore danios :D Killifish would be pretty amazing too!
View attachment 57380

I'm thinking about my work tank as well and I think it'll either be the CADE Pro Reef Mini or a Neptunian Cube (35 or 45cm one)
I've never kept Killifish, but adore them. Are the males always so beautiful or is it only when they are showing off at breeding time? But, from what I have read of them over the years, they could be a perfect office.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Ok Im on my way to planted paradise... picked up a new petworx 30cm cube for 25.00 new at fishworld :) Half price.

Now off to find a forum that cares about planted tanks :)