Tank Journal Archive

gigglypig

Feb 15, 2016
Why Not Try Vacuuming?
Today I did another water change. This is the 3rd water change I have done, each time vaccing the sand. Keeping up with the monthly change has been okay. I'm using ASW and mixing it into 4 drums ahead of change day. Corals and fish are loving the new water. and tank is looking bright and clean after vaccing.
Somehow I have managed to combat cyano and havent seen it in a few weeks. I think since my last update, water change with Vaccing and increasing flow has really helped the cause. My water parameters have remained stable for the last month which is a good sign. But now Im getting more algae growth on my sand which I need to give a stir every week to stop it from creating a carpet.
Time to change my light settings perhaps...

With this update, small advice is to those that dont vacuum. Please Vacuum your sand.
I have learned vaccing helps with water quality, especially if feeding frozen food as I am and feeding out nori to the tangs. I cant believe how much dirt I pulled out after every water change. Where does it all come from?
You dont need to vac the whole tank (personally I have done this since day one to keep it clean). Pick the really dead spots that will accumulate easily. Make sure you dont drag the vac though as you dont want to stir too much!

Downside is the possibility of removing good biofilters from the sand bed...
Just my experience

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Changing your light settings 'might' reduce the algae growth but it will do nothing about removing the nutrients that are feeding the algae.