Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Why The Sudden Change - Skimmer Behaviour
so, I left for work this morning, skimmer was pulling out dark brown liquid on a slow skim since the night before, ie: bubbles just under surface of lip.

come home this afternoon skimmer overflowing back into sump

clr liquid, tons of bubbles, overflowing like mad, I empty the cup turned the dial down, happens again, empty and dial down as hard as it can be put, right down, still foaming a bit like crazy and wanting to overflow.

all levels zero

fish had 1 feed today not 2 - and started the morning with some reef roids, half a spoon while the lights out but the tentacles out.

any thoughts?

maybe the socks are clogged and need to be changed? just holding onto organic mass?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I find mine used to do this when I got slack in the cleaning side of things. About every 5 months or so it used to spill over like that, I have an external overflow, so it meant whole ato dumping into tank and very wet floors.
I now pull my skimmer out every 3 months and vinegar bath it and it hasnt happened again.
Maybe skimmer is overdue a good pull apart and clean ?

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I find mine used to do this when I got slack in the cleaning side of things. About every 5 months or so it used to spill over like that, I have an external overflow, so it meant whole ato dumping into tank and very wet floors.
I now pull my skimmer out every 3 months and vinegar bath it and it hasnt happened again.
Maybe skimmer is overdue a good pull apart and clean ?

Well it's only 5 weeks old, but I will take it apart and see what is going on and give it a rinse out and see if that helps

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Well it's only 5 weeks old, but I will take it apart and see what is going on and give it a rinse out and see if that helps
Oh well it shouldn't need that then maybe it's just settled & run in now ? No idea - sorry

being new and not knowing what brand of skimmer... sounds like you need to run it dryer and let it bed in. You might also have a look at anything you are dosing or adding, could cause this to happen also. Is the skimmer sitting at the recommended depth? Maybe your pump is faulty or and speeding up... maybe your controller is causing the speed increase...? all unknowns but we might need more info.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
  • deltect 1350
  • not dosing anything as yet, just feeding reef roids and some marine snow in low quantities every 3 days alternating
  • correct depth, check, it is sitting at
  • dial is turned down as far as it can go
  • could have been the ECOtech coral glue i used 3 days earlier finally causing a reaction?
  • could be the instant ocean salts i had leftover i decided to use instead of the redsea A+B salts
  • there is a tiny bit of brown crud on the bottom floor of the skimmer chamber below the pump, everything else is fine, no blockage no slime, i will try clean that out tomorrow.
  • the initial run in period was done within 76hrs
Tanks for the Tips!

Tannum_Paul

Jun 18, 2015
Tannum Sands
Not saying it is the reason but humidity and barometric pressure will adjust how your skimmer works. Also even the tiniest bit of soap residue on your hands or cleaning equipment will make your skimmer a bubble maker.

I would check airline is clear, clean venturi intake just to make sure there is no sand or anything, even check the pinwheel if the thing still is unable to be tuned, no liquid at all in the silencer for air intake.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Check the air line is still attached - my Turboflotor did the same once and it took me days to realise the airline before the dial was loose and sucking full air.