Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Worms in the system - the terror!
Ok, whilst I now have a system of trapping large worms out of my tanks, I thought that I would put it to use and see what other polychetes I have in the tank. I have all the usual suspects like bristle worms, spoon worms, etc. However, of particular concern to me was one species that I observed (ie. Oenone fulgida). This animal is a real terror. While it does not cause the all out havoc of a euncid worm, O. fulgida is a stealth killing machine that actively seeks out molluscs, killing them with a toxic slime and then consumes them. These worms grow up to in excess of 20cm in length and are very slimy.
As my tank has large numbers of self sustaining Nassarius, Dove, Turbo and Stomatella snails, I have not noticed their presence. Fortunately I do not own any clams (which these worms target), but I do plan on getting one in the future. So best to get them out now. These worms are trapped in the same way as the euncids.
A photo of an O. fulgida that has been extracted from my tank is provided below.
View attachment 16320