Tank Journal Archive

Jimsim

Nov 9, 2013
NEW SOUTH WALES
Xmas Has Come Early!!
I have to admit this forum has grown on me, and very lucky to have met such lovely people in real life, this is my one and only reefing forum apart from other research I go to the USA sites...

My intention was never to upgrade and most likely downgrade as UNI comes first. Our intentions for the MRS and I were to plan our dream tanks in the future house and keep what we have in the 4ft tank and transfer it over when time comes..

My weakness comes down to big scores and I love to hoard stuff especially marine stuff lol.. religiously scouting FB pages, Ebay, Gumtree you name it I'm watching it! Thats when I spotted this tank on ebay.. Clicked 'By it now' with no hesitation!

So now comes the fun part.. Tank transfer! Whilst talking to a few reefers on this forum I've come up with a plan to safely transfer live stock into the new tank.

Step1. Electricity (14/12/14), I got an electrician to install power up in the ceiling so that I can suspend my LED lights off the ceiling without having cords dangling down the tank. (TICK)

Step2. Saltwater Guy (15/12/14), Fill the tank up with Saltwater. Plug Heaters and plumb the skimmer, chiller and reactors from old tank to new tank. **Add Prime**

Step3. Aquascape (16/12/14), Aquaknead and Superglue Gel, have one bucket between tanks with tank water so that when I move each LR piece I can dunk them in the tub to rinse off any detritus. NOTE: No old/new sand going into the new tank as I'll be going Barebottom!!

Step4. Corals (17/12/14), This is a hard choice to make but yet to make a full decision until the day comes to either frag the zoas up to sell off or keep all intact and overgrow the tank. As most will be glued down to existing LR.

Step5. Fish (18/12/14), 3 Tangs, 2 Blennys, 10pep shrimps, 1 mandy, 1 purple starfish. Since it's going to be a nice and slow transfer I have both tanks running the whole time, and are probably 1meter apart from each other.

Step6. Water tests each day with 100L Saltwater 100L R/O water ready to change over if needed.

I think that's about it for tonight, I hope I didn't miss anything.
Merry Xmas Fuge Family!!
Happy Reefing,

James.
DSC06473.JPG

Last edited:

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I've read that dunking the live rock in RO water can be better than tank water.
It flushes out critters, and if left long enough would probably kill algaes

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I don't mean to be pedantic, but you did write "... this tank."

It follows that, at a minimum, we should be provided with at least some of the details :D:rofl:D:rofl

Big, small, round, square ??

muz_z

Aug 29, 2011
Looking good Jimsim

Sounds like you have a good plan for the transfer

Need any help just let me know

Cheers
Maury

MQ-9

Nov 25, 2014
I've read that dunking the live rock in RO water can be better than tank water.
It flushes out critters, and if left long enough would probably kill algaes

Problem is, if you time it wrong you kill all sorts of sponges and things.
Which can result in an ammonia spike.

I use el cheapo' soda water that I tip over rock, to force out undesirable critters. Just be careful not to leave desirable ones in the bucket the soda water collects in, as they will die quite fast.