Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Zeo, 2-part, Or Other?
Ok so the tank is nearing it's arrival, the rocks are still cycling in the holding tank @NiCd has set up for me (check cycle thread).

i initially decided i will be going Zeo, and i still want to. However my idea was i wanted to automate the Zeo as i dont really have the confidence i will continually add the drops to the tanks and want to keep it as self maintained as possible.

To accomplish this i was intending on automating the Zeo reactor using an Avast Vibe, that will automate the stirring/shaking of the stones, and to accomplish automation of the drops, i was looking at implementing a Syring doser (medical grade) this way i could dose automatically the drops through the syringe doser and then for the zeobac and zeostart, and any others that requires mL's as apposed to drops, i could use a normal dosing machine (hopefully the vertex, should they release an add-on unit).

So i guess i have a couple, well a few questions on this from people who have used/researched Zeo in its entirety before...or have somewhat grasped hold of what is required. i know that a bit part of Zeo is consistency and commitment which includes the inclusion of consistent water changes...whilst some of you may be thinking..."this guy wants a tank but wants nothing to do with it" this is not true...i want a tank that i have complete commitment to but it will forgive me when i cannot commit to it, or go through periods of time where i cannot pay attention to it as much as i like. i know it is possible to almost automate all the chores involved in keeping a successful reef tank, so i would ask if you have comments regarding the comment i made above that you try help out rather than point out the obvious.

I'm also interested in knowing, is having a refugium a bad idea for running Zeo or any other ULNS' (Ultra-Low Nutrient Systems) [I know this is obvious but when i started i didn't know abbreviations lol]? Reason why i ask is because i know with an ULNS your aim is to have low to no nutrients so you wouldnt want to encourage macro algae growth or any algae growth at all, i just want to have a healthy system natural system not a chemical farm?

i'm by no means an 'experienced' reefer, hence why i ask all this from you guys who i feel are much more experienced than myself.

Questions:

Does Zeo require constant tweaking and variable dosing? Or could it be automated with the right equipment (assuming it is already available)?

Is there a better method than Zeo in terms of being easier to automate (based on not needing to be altered too often)?

What do you use?

What have you used?

What have you read about?

Any other methods you think are feasible?

Zeovit.jpg

Last edited:

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
I use zeovit.
The refugium would be a waste and algea would die due to starvation IMO. ThTs what I've read on the zeovit forum anyway.

Zeobac (bacteria) is only dosed 2x a week. Monday and Thursday works for me (3drops)
Zeostart (carbon) twice a day. 0.3 ml for me
In terms of regularity.
The stones need to be changed every 6-8 weeks and for 2 weeks zeo bac is dosed daily the same amounts as Monday and Thursday. So the stones and the Zeobac are irregular frequency but not in drops or mls.

I find it easy

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
I use zeovit.
The refugium would be a waist and algea would die due to starvation IMO. ThTs what I've read on the zeovit forum anyway.

Zeobac (bacteria) is only dosed 2x a week. Monday and Thursday works for me (3drops)
Zeostart (carbon) twice a day. 0.3 ml for me
In terms of regularity.
The stones need to be changed every 6-8 weeks and for 2 weeks zeo bac is dosed daily the same amounts as Monday and Thursday. So the stones and the Zeobac are irregular frequency but not in drops or mls.

I find it easy
Thanks for that Oscar....obviously this is for nutrient management, but what do you use to maintain your ALK (Alkalinity), Cal (Calcium), and Mg (Manesium)...and any other levels you might thing need maintaining?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
Thanks for that Oscar....obviously this is for nutrient management, but what do you use to maintain your ALK (Alkalinity), Cal (Calcium), and Mg (Manesium)...and any other levels you might thing need maintaining?
OK… im confused. ZEOvit provides ultra nutrient control and I do not believe macro algae such as cheato survives well in the zeovit tanks as they are also ready so low in Nutrients. A good example is trying to google "zeovit with refugium", the google response turns into "zeovit VS refugium". I manually dose alk and cal twice daily as i don't have a doser. The reason i also dose twice is to minimise peaks in dosing. Ive don't need to dose mag. Mine sits 1400 and doesn't move. I think @Buddy also doesn't need to use mag, but all tanks are different. Ask any questions I'm happy to help. :)

Last edited:

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
OK… im confused. ZEOvit provides ultra nutrient control and I do not believe macro algae such as cheato survives well in the zeovit tanks as they are also ready so low in Nutrients. A good example is trying to google "zeovit with refugium", the google response turns into "zeovit VS refugium". I manually dose alk and cal twice daily as i don't have a doser. The reason i also dose twice is to minimise peaks in dosing. Ive don't need to dose mag. Mine sits 1400 and doesn't move. I think @Buddy also doesn't need to use mag, but all tanks are different. Ask any questions I'm happy to help. :)

oh no I wasn't emplying that I want to run zeo and the fuge...was just a question, your first post answered it :)

how much are you dosing of each? or are you testing then dosing? or did you calculate it over a week and then find the depletion rate?

OSCAR85

Jan 8, 2013
St Kilda, Melbourne
oh no I wasn't emplying that I want to run zeo and the fuge...was just a question, your first post answered it :)

how much are you dosing of each? or are you testing then dosing? or did you calculate it over a week and then find the depletion rate?
ahh ok.. sorry i had a big day lol. i actually just tested it today. i had been naughty and not testing. when i started out i would test weekly and then make adjustments. Im currently using red sea powder calc 1/3teaspoon and alk 1/3teaspoon each morning and each night. the powder lasts forever 1kg is about $30, i don't wanna fuss about using random stuff from supermarket or buntings. It will last about 1 year

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
ahh ok.. sorry i had a big day lol. i actually just tested it today. i had been naughty and not testing. when i started out i would test weekly and then make adjustments. Im currently using red sea powder calc 1/3teaspoon and alk 1/3teaspoon each morning and each night. the powder lasts forever 1kg is about $30, i don't wanna fuss about using random stuff from supermarket or buntings. It will last about 1 year
totally agree with that...happy to pay for the label instead of baking something in the oven then dosing it lol

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
Yep. The other online retailers are selling the stuff now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk