Reef Discussion

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
great packaging although dont know what "affordable" really means in this hobby as cannot find pricing on a quick search. I was very disappointed at the ipad mini picture that is part of the reefbiulders article. I do understand the tank that it was on may not of shown its full potential but enough for me not to be an early adopter...

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
I don't owe one, but based on features, it looks like an overpriced wifi camera.

1. You can get pretty good wifi cameras for under $80 with free shipping on banggood.com or ebay.
2. Looks like it was designed to stick to the tank glass, which to me is a deal breaker. Wifi cameras can be placed where they are not visible when you are watching the tank.
3. If was going to stick a camera with a cable, to the tank, I would rather use a $10 USB camera with a computer like the RPI. However, the setup is far from being simple and user friendly.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I bought a wifi camera for around $80 a while back with it having the capability of being on line and viewing the tank.
Even though there was an iphone app that was supposed to make it all work properly, it would only work within the local network and not outside like I wanted it to.
It was supposed to be fully controllable, rotate, zoom and sound but it was impossible to get all functions working.
I was hoping someone here would have one of these units working, I might drop into The Tech Den and see if they have seen one in action.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
I bought a wifi camera for around $80 a while back with it having the capability of being on line and viewing the tank.
Even though there was an iphone app that was supposed to make it all work properly, it would only work within the local network and not outside like I wanted it to.
It was supposed to be fully controllable, rotate, zoom and sound but it was impossible to get all functions working.
I was hoping someone here would have one of these units working, I might drop into The Tech Den and see if they have seen one in action.
Sounds like you need to setup a DDNS service for the camera.

I find foscams to be brilliant, they even come with DDNS built in now for free which makes setup super easy