Tank Journal Archive

hurlza

Sep 22, 2014
Zoa Id Please :)
So I got some new zoas yesterday from Eastwood Aquariums, just wondering on the names of them. In particular the blue zoas. Unfortunately the camera is picking up their true colours, but the blue ones are a bright blue center with a purple outside
P4181532.jpg
P4181531.jpg
P4181533.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
At best you are going to get a 'common name' - at the other end of the scale you are going to get some superlative that the seller has made up :D

Be aware that there is a much wider range of zoa's available in the US, and they may also use different common names. Yours do look nice though.

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Thats a good site however, I have found that the majority on common names vary not only from website to website, depending on which country you are from. Sometimes from store to store and even occasionally from person to person within that store!
There are alot of zoas that will change colours under different lights so it again makes them hard to I.D.
My opinion is, if its pretty or you like it, Get it!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Thats a good site however, I have found that the majority on common names vary not only from website to website, depending on which country you are from. Sometimes from store to store and even occasionally from person to person within that store!
There are alot of zoas that will change colours under different lights so it again makes them hard to I.D.
My opinion is, if its pretty or you like it, Get it!
True, I've managed to turn some normal eagle eyes into something off the chain and totally not eagle eyes by manipulating light waves for two months. I bet they would gradually turn back into eagle eyes if I passed them on to you.

Zoa names, like beauty, are in the eyes of the beholder. The only thing I've seen even close to agreement is on Eagle Eyes but you'll find plenty of people selling "Eagle Eyes" that look nothing like the common form. To a large degree, the naming is just a mush of ideas.