Reef Discussion

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
Zoanthids not opening
Hey guys,

Just wondering if different zoanthids need different parameters or lighting? Some colonies are doing really well and some aren't. I'm finding the blue ones are slowly disappearing and some red ones too.

Its got me buggered

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yep, I have found the same ... had a zoa rock covered in 3-4 different types, 2 of them flourished, one did not so well and the other melted away completely. All within 5cm of each other.

Jarryd

Dec 31, 2011
Perth
Now just to figure out how to keep them alive. Surely someone will know as they came on plugs so someone is growing them

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the blues are tought ones, from what i have heard they were from deep in the water so im guessing they need minimal light, i have some blues with yellow frills growing very slowly, they are on my substrate, although they are hard to keep a good color with and grow veryyyy slowly, im talking grow from 1 up to a two frag plug size in two years :D

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I had my fire and ice not opening fully so gave them a bit more flow and placed them up a bit in the tank for more light and they went back to fully opened after a few days.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
the blues are tought ones, from what i have heard they were from deep in the water so im guessing they need minimal light, i have some blues with yellow frills growing very slowly, they are on my substrate, although they are hard to keep a good color with and grow veryyyy slowly, im talking grow from 1 up to a two frag plug size in two years :D
interesting ... it was the blue ones we bought that melted away really quickly.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
My blue and red zoas are open right up but don't have the rich, deep blue they had in their original tank - the blue has faded out to a grey-ish blue. Am hoping they will develop their original color again as they settle.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I have some orange/redish zoas my mate gave me, when they were first put in the tank they didn't open for over a week, and when they finally did start to they were very temperamental. As in they would only open a couple of heads then as soon as they were bumped or moved they would shut back up for another few days. I pretty much just let them be, havent moved them a very long time and didn't notice any growth at all in them. Now 6 months later I have noticed they are starting to spread and extremely quickly too.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
stop touching it, every time you touch it delays it ;)

But, uhm, seriously - i left it in the one spot for a week and it didn't open so i've tried a couple other spots over the last two weeks but its not happy. some of the others are open within literally MINUTES of me moving them or the snail bumping them or whatever :eek

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
ive had zoos that closed up for weeks, same with sarcos and hammers that have taken two weeks to properly come out ;) give it 4 weeks in the same spot and if nothing happens then id be worried