Tank Journal Archive

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
60cm Nano Reef
Introduction:

Reefing Since: November 2012

System Objectives: To have a stable nano reef with a minimalistic layout of live rock and simple corals.

Type of reef: Mushroom, Zoa and Ricordea dominated, with a focal point of a Frogspawn Coral.

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 24/12/2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 60 x 30 x 36cm ADA 60p clone, low iron glass.

Display Lighting: 4x24w T5HO ASD unit with 2 x ATI Blue +, Coral + and Purple + tubes.

Stand: DIY pine frame, may be cladded with plywood in the future.

Hood or Rimless: Rimless

Sump Design: 3 chambers, with skimmer and heater to refugium then return.

Filtration: Live rock, macro algae and skimmer.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: Tunze Reef Excel Lab Marine Salt 7008

Display Water Circulation: Glass-Holes Nano Con Dientes overflow, 1/2in Loc-Line return, EcoTech VorTech MP10wES

Return Pump: Tunze Silence Water Pump 1073.008

Skimmer: Tunze Nano DOC Skimmer 9002

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: TBA

Alkalinity Addition: TBA

Magnesium Addition: TBA

Current photo:
ai893.photobucket.com_albums_ac134_andre_luck7_FullTankShot_zpsde9083d6.jpg

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Very nice looking tank setup!
Thanks :) I made the stand myself and I'm collecting all the gear I need over the next couple of weeks. The rear of the display tank and sump will be covered in black vinyl once it arrives. I'm waiting on the skimmer, tubes, return pump and a bunch of test kits.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
You did a great job with the stand, the whole look of the setup is nice clean lines. The vinyl will really set it off.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That is a CLEAN setup! Awesome work, very minimalist.

The glass-holes overflows are great, I was close to getting a con dientes for my tank.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
That is a CLEAN setup! Awesome work, very minimalist.

The glass-holes overflows are great, I was close to getting a con dientes for my tank.
Thanks, the real difficulty is going to be keeping it minimal when all the equipment is in. Cable management is a must, and hopefully the black backing will help draw the eye towards the scape.

I'm keen to hear how loud the overflow is when the pump is running.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
black backing allways helps pop the coral colours out and hide the cables! nice looking setup going to clad the stand?

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
I put a black backing on my 60cm (50L) tank and it's done a great job hiding cables. And yes, the black makes the colours stand out a bit more. Check out my tj if you want to see pics of it. Still keeps the tank looking clean.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
black backing allways helps pop the coral colours out and hide the cables! nice looking setup going to clad the stand?
I've considered cladding the stand, but I might put it off until I've figured out the combination of equipment that works with my set up. That way I've got the flexibility of adapting the stand to hold everything and still look good. I do like the look of an open sump too, I like being able to see the system at work.

I put a black backing on my 60cm (50L) tank and it's done a great job hiding cables. And yes, the black makes the colours stand out a bit more. Check out my tj if you want to see pics of it. Still keeps the tank looking clean.
I'm waiting on some 3M vinyl to arrive from the US to give that effect. Hopefully I don't make a mess of applying it, but I did order enough to do my sump and display tank. I will update when I give it a go.

I went to Bunnings to buy some clear PVC pipe cement but they were sold out of the smaller sized bottle. I'll be calling around to see if I can get it from another store.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
you say that now until it looks disgusting :p
Haha yeah I've seen some pretty rank looking (but functional) sumps. I just need to keep on top of the salt creep, algae and detritus. There are a type of screw in fitting that allows you to push on panels without having to screw or nail them to the stand. They've used some at my workplace so hopefully I can find them at a hardware store, I'll take a photo and see if anyone has seen them before.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Just a small update from the last two weeks:
MP10, Vertex Simplex, various Salifert test kits, inTank algae scraper and 3M adhesive vinyl arrived.

I took a crack at applying it last night, I first cut the sheet to size, then sprayed the tank with water and used the algae scraper to remove the bubbles and water. Here is the result

ai893.photobucket.com_albums_ac134_andre_luck7_IMG_0371.jpg

It's strange how above the water line, the black backing looks perfect, but when you look down at the angle I have taken the photo the adhesion looks pretty poor. But then again if you're looking front on at the tank and even from the left and right sides, the back looks uniform.

It won't make a different when the tank is filled though.

saint

Jan 23, 2012
i use to use soapy water to put on my backgrounds as it was a method i learned when i use to put graphics kits on my dirtbikes

when i did it with my FW tanks the background would look like crap for a few day until the water dried up and the it looked perfect! so if you have only done it a day or two ago wait a few more days to see how it turns out (im guessing the bottom part isnt 100% dry because use added cold water to the tank?so its some type of condensation between the glass and background?)

the funny thing is with my nano i decided to paint the back just because ive seen other people do it and i have not tried it but i will not paint the back of a tank again (chips :()

Forgot to add the tank looks great! im looking forward to more updates :)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Would never have thought to try wet it before putting backing on because of the adhesive, will have to give it a try!

saint

Jan 23, 2012
yeah works a treat Pris, it makes it easier to move around and push the air bubbles out, i also use a hair dryer to help

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
yeah works a treat Pris, it makes it easier to move around and push the air bubbles out, i also use a hair dryer to help
I went the same route with the hairdryer, there hasn't been a massive improvement in the top down appearance of the background but I'm satisfied with it.

At the moment I just need to fix a slight leak where my Loc-line screws into the bulkhead, but other than that it's just a matter of patience until the T5HO tubes, skimmer and pump arrive. I'm thinking about a phosphate reactor too, and I'm still not sure what to feed my corals or dose to maintain levels.

Then there's also the question of a dosing pump.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Not really much of an update, I'm still waiting on my skimmer, return pump and ATI tubes to arrive.

I've bought a 25L water storage drum from Bunnings, so I'm running my RO/DI unit to have enough on hand to fill my tank when I've got all the gear.

ai893.photobucket.com_albums_ac134_andre_luck7_IMG_0382.jpg
ai893.photobucket.com_albums_ac134_andre_luck7_IMG_0383.jpg

There seems to be a lot more waste water than actual RO/DI water though.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
You will probably get 3 or 4 times waste than ro/di water. I use the waste water to fill up the washing machine.
I've been putting the waste into a watering can to water some large pot plants outside. I'll just stagger the production of RODI water so I can water the plants on a regular basis.