Tank Journal Archive

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
90 litre nano
Introduction:
After having tropical fish tanks for a couple of years I decided to dabble in a marine one ( and soon realised I need a second job!)

System Type: Beginner Reef with Softies and LPS

Strike up Date: Date system started 10/02/2011 with a 40l tank that I had lying around. it was upgraded to my 75l Aquaone 510 pretty quickly thereafter as I realised I wanted a bigger tank and the 510 was standing empty Also the 40 l sprang a leak -that's what happens when you pick up second hand tanks in council throwouts!
However in July this year I picked up a bargain aquaone 620 for $10-00 or so I thought. Fixed it up-resiliconed etc and did leak test-was all good. UNTIL I had transferred everything and put the LEDS on-++ fine scratches on glass! Not happy but at this stage will stay with it until can afford a new tank.
Display Tank:Aqua one 620 90l

Display Lighting:
Aquabeam LED 600 Reef whitex2 and counting
Stand:
Same small coffee table that used to support the AquaOne before- is mucho strong

Hood: Modded with holes in lid for good gaseous exchange at the front. Kept this because I would hate to have carpet surfers.Back of tank open and protected with eggcrate

Sump:No sump ( but thinking! Would like to do overflow pipe as per Donkey)

Refugium:
Modified Aquaclear 70 with Rowacarbon and sponge in first compartment and Caulerpa with live rock in bigger second compartment

Refugium Lighting:
3W 6500K LED picked up on eBay for about $10-00 and put into cheap reflector from Bunnings

Support systems: me;myself;I

System Water: Natural salt water

Display Water circulation:
Tunze nanostream 6045 and the HOB above-both guarded as recent nem purchase in August

Skimmer: Nada-do twice weekly water changes ofat least 10%

Evaporation Top Up:
Manual top up

Chemical Support:
Rowacarbon in filter
Occasionally c- balance A and B

Current Water Chemistry: Ammonia 0;nitrite 0
Nitrates: try to keep them between 5-10
Phosphates:
Alkalinity:-9-10
Calcium:400-420
Salinity / Specific Gravity: 1024
Magnesium:

Livestock:
2 false perculas-Bonny and Clyde
1 bicolor dottyback-Dotty
1 Bicolor Blenny-Benny-very imaginative I know
Turbos,nassarius and cerith snails
1 peppermint shrimp-( Shrimpicle-cringe)
small bristle stars -came in the LR
green bubble tip nem
Corals
yellow star polyps
green star polyps
Elegance coral
Green tipped torch
frogspawn
Zoas
Tubipora
Alveopora
Anthelia
Sinularia-was attached as a surprise on the torch
Macroalgae
In display-Halymenia,gracillaria and Codium sp
LR starting to sprout some Halimeda and also some growing with the tubipora
Caulerpa brachypus in fuge

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
P1040385.JPG

Some of my angels fascinated by the marine fish-they always go and watch the tank

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
I do like seaweed tanks-maybe from the planted tank influence and my gardening obsession-my gardens a jungle as is my planted tank but I like it

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Hopefully that worked re upload- This shows mounting of aquabeams-are in the section behind the lid with holes in it