Reef Discussion

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
A shared Reefuge resource - drill guide
It's one of those purchases that you're only likely to use once, or at least once every few years. So when ijg3956 was looking to drill his tank, I figured it made sense to loan him my drill guide (which makes a huge difference to how easy it is).

Went to the post office, was $6something for postage ... and ijg3956 was all for paying the postage. But I figured - what's $6? And then an idea formed.

So the drill guide is now a Reefuge resource. If you are drilling your tank and would like to loan the resource, ask ijg3956. He will pay for postage (assuming within Australia), you don't need to pay anything. Until the next member needs it - then you commit to paying postage on to them.

It would be great for anyone that uses the guide to post in this thread - let's see how many Ks it can get before it breaks.

Oh here is the guide:
alh4.googleusercontent.com__MpPBA7sPE_A_T_jfRaE7I8I_AAAAAAAADF7e924aec805971744e0a39a66cf49d67.jpg

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
It really is an excellent idea and very generous.

I should be finished with it by next week. I'll be posting some photos on its use here (Chimaera's idea). If you're after it and I don't respond quickly, my website is www.gardener.org.au.

Ian

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I've now finished drilling 5 holes in my DT and the jig is ready for the next person that needs it. I also have glass hole saws available for loan, to suit 25mm & 32mm bulkheads.

Thanks for the use of the jig Chimaera, it was a great help.

If you're wondering how it's done, there's a step by step guide in my tank journal.

Ian G

Sep 11, 2012
Nowhere
I've now finished drilling 5 holes in my DT and the jig is ready for the next person that needs it. I also have glass hole saws available for loan, to suit 25mm & 32mm bulkheads. I also have a cheap set of wood hole saws available for loan, just pay post.

Thanks for the use of the jig Chimaera, it was a great help.

If you're wondering how it's done, there's a step by step guide in my tank journal.

David

Aug 20, 2012
Melbourne
hmmmm... i might put my hand up for next in line... have to see if the wife is up for me drilling the new tank tho...

also MASSIVE +1 to the guppys thing... but thats a story for another day where andres isnt watching

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
So needing to drill my DT bulkhead holes..

Who currently holds this wonderful contraption and is it able to be passed onto me in Caringbah NSW 2229 please????? :)

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
The Drillguide is now located in Caringbah NSW 2229
And the further increase The Reefuge's DIY Resources it also comes with diamond tip holesaws :-
28mm (suits 3/4" bulkhead)
35mm (suits 1" bulkhead)

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
If i was to borrow this over the holidays are there any victorians out there who would be able to help me drill my tank and give me help with it all?
Cheers guys

GhostRPH

Sep 19, 2012
Its easy to do mate, just let the weight of the drill and the holesaw do the work (ie dont need much if any pressure pushing down) and lots of water to flush the cuttings out and keep it all cool..

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I used the crappest cordless drill that bunnings had and it worked fine on 10mm glass. Took about 5 mins to cut each hole. I just ran the garden hose on the cut the whole time.