Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Melanurus wrasses are bulletproof, you kill one and marine fish aren't for you, sell up and move on to stamp collecting, lol. They're one of the few wrasses that ship very well. Now here' the pisser, the ones out of Fiji are mean as snakes to one another, the ones out of The Philippines are perfect citizens. Out of curiosity, how much are Assessor basslets there?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I think yellow coral goby may "irritate" sps rather than kill them. But, my clowns irritate corals initially, then the coral gets use to them and learns to live with them. My hammers rather happily live with all the rubbing (body to body), mouthing, sucking etc from my clowns. I'm actually quite envious.

I had a yellow coral goby for a while, but it didn't eat and got very thin and so I gave it away hoping it would do better in its new home. That is why I didn't mention it. Maybe I got one that was already on the way out?

I did get another coral goby from a fellow aquarist, but around that time I introduce a tiny lionfish into my tank and I noticed the Lionfish was sitting a lot around the spot where the coral goby was living (at that time). Needless to say, that goby didn't last very long.

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Melanurus wrasses are bulletproof, you kill one and marine fish aren't for you, sell up and move on to stamp collecting, lol. They're one of the few wrasses that ship very well. Now here' the pisser, the ones out of Fiji are mean as snakes to one another, the ones out of The Philippines are perfect citizens. Out of curiosity, how much are Assessor basslets there?
But, are Melanurus jumpers?

Prices for Assessors seems to be moving a bit. I think I paid around $100 each for yellows some time ago or more. Blues have been down to about $40. I don't have the yellow any more.

IMO there are different qualities. I'd bought a pair of aussie yellows and I paid a lot for them. They were absolutely beautiful. They also bred. The only reason I sold them was because they were hiding a lot and I think this was because of my Coral Beauty. This is why I said above about not introducing an angel to Potatoes tank as I think it could become dominant and annoy Potatoe's clowns. My Coral Beauty plays tag with my Yellow Tang, but bullies my Orange Striped Cardinals. Hence, I've been wondering if I should give my Coral Beauty away as I am moving my fish into a smaller tank where it could potentially annoy my clowns more.

Aside, I think the yellows and maybe the blues are an ideal fish for people to try and breed as they still fetch a good amount in the shops and aren't hard to breed.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yea, melanurus wrasses are jumpers, ALL wrasses will jump for that matter.

Assessors are $100-$150 here in the USA, might have to see what availability and pricing is on them from my Australian source. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at breeding them.

Coral Beauty angels are quite boisterous in an aquarium for the most part. They are curious by nature and very outgoing.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
So, what did you decide ?
I think i stick to what I got at the moment .. but wanting to stock up the tank (with corals) as at the moment, it looks very scarcceeeeee ... don't look good ! :(

Planning to pile up with bigger corals .. to make it oooompppppphhh ... found 1 heliofungia but not fast enough . it's BIGGGG .. need some centerpieces in my tank

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Just make sure you have adequate space around any of these corals otherwise they may send out sweeper tentacles that will kill things around them.

Also, although I have seen people put fungia on rocks, but they are really meant to be in the sand. Another thing is that they like to be fed.

I think it's a good idea that you've chosen to get a new coral instead of a fish, but bear in mind they may have their own needs (perhaps more than a fish).

Finally, although I have never kept one, I have read and heard of people finding heliofungia difficult to keep. You'd definitely not want one of these dying in your tank, especially a big one. I'd be looking at normal Fungia or a nice hammer/frogspawn - preferably of the branching type. They are all just as beautiful imo and your clowns may host in the hammer/frogspawn.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The main thing to remember with any of the Fungia plate corals is to keep the food size on the smaller size, 2-3mm max or they'll reject it. Mine get Ricordea food after dark when they send out their feeders.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
With corals and marine fish in general, smaller is better. I find that Anthias will strike at a small piece of food faster than a larger piece. Corals are less likely to reject a smaller piece of food as well.

Now gimme a BIG assed steak grilled rare and we're golden. ;) :D