Tank Journal Archive

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
After the crash
After moving my tank to a new residence disaster struck. my tank went into a spiral of death.
this is around a week after the crash

note to all users. dont use hydrometers!!! use a good quality refractometer, the source of my crash was salinity levels of 1.037 due to my hydrometer failing on me. pricey mistake!

Lost alot of great coral and one fish in the salinity swing

Most of my hammer garden is dead now :(

20130729_tank_0222EE.jpg

So now the tank begins its cycle again stabilizing itself out. will be a good 12 months before it looks any decent again. long road ahead

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
so fish handled the swing ok?

sucks it happens mate, glad you are sticking with it
seemed to except the new addition!

issue happened when i filled the tank thought it was 1.023 i chucked all the corals and fish into 1.037.....

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Really sorry to hear it mate :( at least you found the problem and are now on the mend, hopefully everyone else makes it through and you don't have anymore issues!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Really sorry to hear it mate :( at least you found the problem and are now on the mend, hopefully everyone else makes it through and you don't have anymore issues!
we can only hope!! should have followed my own advice and not used the hydrometer as i warn people so often they can fail!

Last edited:

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
How upsetting Matt-I'm sure with time your tank will be back to its previous splendour

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
Bugger, sorry to hear of your story. I know what you mean about the long road ahead. I just got into hobby 12 months ago. I have only had 2 months of awesome parameters, and all the different cycles of algae gone with a lot less cleaning required and more viewing pleasure. Thinking I will upgrade now. Hahahahahaah, we must be just suckers for pain and hard work us reef heads. Cant believe how long it takes a tank to really cycle into a stable eco system. I know they say 3 months for the nitrogen and bacteria cycle but there is so much more to it than that eh.
Goodluck. Perhaps if you have just moved the tank and still kept all your rock substrate and filter media it will only be a few months of cleaning and water changes.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Bugger, sorry to hear of your story. I know what you mean about the long road ahead. I just got into hobby 12 months ago. I have only had 2 months of awesome parameters, and all the different cycles of algae gone with a lot less cleaning required and more viewing pleasure. Thinking I will upgrade now. Hahahahahaah, we must be just suckers for pain and hard work us reef heads. Cant believe how long it takes a tank to really cycle into a stable eco system. I know they say 3 months for the nitrogen and bacteria cycle but there is so much more to it than that eh.
Goodluck. Perhaps if you have just moved the tank and still kept all your rock substrate and filter media it will only be a few months of cleaning and water changes.
to true i think it takes a tank 12 months to stabilize. i at first thought the bacteria but it still would have crashed anyway with the salinity going from 1.023 to 1.037 in one day :P

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Omg! I'm so sorry to be reading this!! I think I'm in shock, actually!
You poor thing! That absolutely sucks.
I wish your tank a speedy recovery!! Let us know if there's anything we can do.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
*gasp*
:eek

Not the hammer garden!!!

Tank's looking better!! I hope it continues!! :D
its looking even better now. that live sand realy is helping. instantly stoped the algae bloom and the water is clear again now!
no hammer garden but you know me i allways impress :P

still sucks mate but got to look for a silver lining!

Plus you have a tonne of amazing photos from it to remember :)
that i do what was lucky and im glad i have so many!!

now its time for a new start !!

im toying with a few ideas

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Good to hear the tank is making a recovery mate!! :) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it considering how stunning your tank was before the crash!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Good to hear the tank is making a recovery mate!! :) Looking forward to seeing what you do with it considering how stunning your tank was before the crash!
thanks mate! time will tell! what do you think of the scape?