Off-Topic

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Anyone Here Into Camping?
Like the title says, anyway here enjoying getting away in a tent of any sort? Caravan park site, National Park or out in the bush?

We're about to get into it so looking for pointers on good equipment to buy, places to go, tips, etc..

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I was a boy scout for a looonngg time :p I absolutely adore the outdoors and camping and I love hiking :)
Anything in particular you would like to know? :)

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I'm right into it too. One tip: buy a good swag. Cool in summer with the top open, warm in winter all closed up. Even camped in the snow with it and didn't need more than the normal amount of blankets. Much heavier than a tent to cart around though so not good for hiking/camping.

Tarps come in handy to build shelters/keep ground dry when you're camping etc.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Camping? . . . Sure, just so long as it's 4 star and doesn't involve tents, flies, mosquitos, waking up covered in sweat in a sleeping bag etc.
I did live in a caravan for a couple of years when I was in Cairns, loved it. Even had a 4 ft marine tank in the annex.

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
Buy a Jaco no fly's air conditioned and heated. Ive been camping of all sorts of roughing it all my life, now I must be getting old I cant live without my Jaco. Cold beer, hot food all the luxuries. :p

Beats the week out at shark bay swagging it in 40 degree heat, I had to throw the beer into the sea in a sack to cool it down to Kimberly cool.

Swag no worries roll it out and go to bed, where ever you are. ;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I( used to camp a little more rough, but now we are camping as 5, myself, my wife and 3 kids < 10yrs old.

So it's more big tents and luxuries

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I love camping. I have a 5 man dome tent (just for me as the wife doesn't come and the boys are not sharing) and king size air bed, portable gas cooker and and esky. Don't need alot else.

Always see people there with massive tents, solar panels, portable AC etc, not really camping are you boss?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have a 5 man dome tent (just for me as the wife doesn't come and the boys are not sharing)
spare a thought before asking the question. Whats the saying - walk a mile in their shoes ;)

I do know what you mean. We used to be a 4WD, tent, chainsaw, the fishing rods and esky.

Now it's a little more elaborate than that for me.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Last edited:

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Our whole family "glamp" while still retaining some true camp methods. We just love it. Even if we only go half an hour out the road and camp at the Murray River. Good to get away for a couple of days.

My GEAR:
  • 8 Man Tent
  • 5x6m quality silver tarp (protects tent and creates a verandah (have 8 quality extendable poles)
  • Extra rope & tent pegs (including sand pegs for when the ground is more sandy/soft
  • Air Bed & Stand (anywhere bed) gets you off the ground + mattress topper & full bed linen (lol)
  • Quality Ice Box Esky (avoid cheap esky's - they just don't hold ice for as long)
  • Foldable injection mouled table (strong and compact, Bunnings special)
  • 2 x butane cookers (lighter and more portable than gas bbqs) and they get HOT
  • 2 pots, 2 frying pans, camp kettle, all plates, cutlery etc
  • Jaffle Maker (cast iron style - When in doubt jaffles are the BEST camp food!)
  • Comfy Quality Chair (cheap rubbish just doesn't last, I've had mine for almost 10 years now)
  • Car Inverter (plug into 12v lighter and converts to 240v - we power light globes & other gear)
  • Lantern & hand held torch
  • Change Tent & Porta Loo (for when we are camping without privacy) I would rather clean a porta loo out (as the chemicals used eliminate smells) than sit over a smelly hole (eew!) at night there is no light so we just go for a "walk" in the dark ;-)
  • Lots of "bits and pieces" like ear plugs if you have noisy camp neighbours, first aid kit, bucket for washing up etc.

TIPS:
  • Eskies. ALWAYS pre-cool things before packing, it makes your ice last longer) and re-package everything you can as it means more room (food packaging is just so bulky, it's unnecessary.)
  • Tents. Buy one that is triple the size of the number of people sleeping in it. They don't take up much more room and there is nothing worse than trying to climb over people and not being able to stand up once the beds are in. Pop a ground sheet (cheap $10 tarp) under the tent to keep it clean, makes for easier packing up too.
  • Fire: Take Jiffy Fire Lighters or newspaper with you to help start a fire if you're not great at it. Small fires are better for cooking, so don't go overboard with a huge fire. Conserve wood and move closer to the fire if you are cold.
  • Don't forget the aeroguard & sunscreen! I don't know how many times I've regretted not checking to make sure I have it.
  • Food. Pre-plan your meals. Write a list. It's so easy to take WAY too much food. If you plan ahead you won't take too much food.
  • Utensils. Always carry a sharp knife and a good pair of scissors. They are so handy
  • Non-Slip Matt. This stuff is brilliant for the table. If you are on a slight uneven surface things tend to want to slide off tables. This matting can be bought at all common cheap stores (reject shop etc) and is in the kitchen section on a roll. Brilliant stuff. I even used it to repair a tent pole one time as it's tough as!
  • Old Towels. Take spares. Wipe feet before going into the tent and wipe things over before packing up. Keeps things clean (nothing worse than sleeping with sand or dust in your bed!
  • baby/face wipes. These are handy to keep around for "washing" without water. Quick wet-wipes shower before bed makes you feel great and handy for washing hands without wasting water.
  • Plastic Bags. Campers best friend for clean up.

I could go on forever!

Last edited:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@Schnecke - you say you could go on for ever. Please do.

Some good tips. Amongst the "things" we are currently buying is a Technice esky (signature series) set (big - 100L+ and a small 40L ) esky.

We also went to the camping show recently and my wife fell in love with the Dreampot - http://www.dreampot.com.au/
We've used it a few times at home now and it makes great meals. As we have a 3 y.o. walking around anything we can do to avoid having gas burners on, etc it great. Not to mention you can put a roast on in the morning, set it aside and have a great hot meal that night. Seriously - I'm even won over. The food is great with minimum prep time. And if we take roasts/silverside/frozen precooked Spag bog, etc all these will act as giant ice blocks in the esky anyway.

We are picking up various torch's, etc as we go along and will no doubt be spending coin for the next 12 months as we gear up.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Technice are the correct type of esky. Much better than the cheap "willow" style ones. They are bulky, but worth their cost.

Yep - Freezing left overs and taking them and cooling drinks off is the best thing. I even freeze juice etc and they act as ice blocks. I freeze all of my drinking water in 500ml bottles and they act as ice too (nothing worse than warm drinks when camping)

When everyone else is running out of ice etc, I'm all smartie pants and smiling like "oh, here, just let me give you this SOLID BLOCK OF ICE from my super cold esky to get you by" haha!

Last edited:

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Ditto on the good esky - ours will keep things frozen for a week at 40 deg outside temp. Pre-freeze everything. Newspapers act as great insulation between tent and ground if you're in a very cold area too. Cast iron stuff is great. We had someone on our last trip cook a roast and veggies in one.

Schnecke

Jul 4, 2013
Albury/Wodonga
Cast Iron camp ovens are great holly (roast beef or lamb cooked in Red wine and orange juice is divine! Chop up an onion, make sure half the meat is submerged the whole cooking time (2-3 hours) and add packet gravy to thicken at the end. Foil wrap veggies and pop over the cooler coals (turning all the time)

Meat cooked the correct way in camp ovens can't be beat. Melts in your mouth.