Reef Discussion

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Best Autofeeders ???
Hey everyone,

In an effort to compensate for neglect (for some reason i have been choosing to feed a newborn child in place of my fish and corals) I was looking at getting an auto feeder, for the fish side at least, so feeding can happen more than once in every "oh shit how long has it been"

I have not used one in over 15 years and back when I did I remember them being a bit dicky and jamming/clogging or worse dumping a crap tonne in.

I saw the BRS vid this morning and it looks like things are a bit better now and was wondering what everyone is using or if you have tried it and had nothing but problems and have gone back to manual feeds.

Cheers
Ads

images.jpg

Apr 20, 2013
check out the Eden auto feeders. they seal up when not in use and have a decent amount of "flow" control.
in the box they are battery operated, and well balanced with the batteries inside.
you can also hook up 6v power instead of the 4 AA batteries.
apex have a modified version for their system ($$$)
single Ehiems are ok, i have sunk a few tho. i usually get 2-3 accidents before they go in the bin. the twins are pond only. no food, or half a tub.

i strongly recommend a feeding ring and floating or slowly sinking pellet food, helps out with controlling the food once its dropped into the tank and minimizing waste.
and id still use some Velcro or something to secure the feeder to be safe.
and run it in the sink over a bowl until you get the "right" amount of food to drop. sticky tape can help close it off more if needed, but the 2 above have decent control.
both units also have a tank mount available if there's no bracing on the tank.

great investment for the tank, and the fish get used to the timing and will be under it waiting after a week or so.
i then add a small amount of frozen food once or twice a week for a treat.

Apr 20, 2013
i mix it up, and currently don't actually have a personal tank, first time in almost 15 years!!! 1 month in and i'm having withdrawals already.
i use tropical food brand bionautic, have used ocean nutrition and new life spectrum to name a couple.
any 0.5 - 2mm pellets work well for me, sometimes a small amount of crushed flake mixed in.

Apr 20, 2013
forgot to say.....
retail should be well below the $80 mark for the Eden. just the unit tho, no mounts, or PSU.
with the mount it should still be well under $100.
so great value IMO.

there are pricier ones out there but these and the single head Eheim's do the job well.
there is a Melbourne based distributor that i know of, not sure if there are others.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I have 2 of the ehiems both with NLS pellets. Cant fault either of them. (Only have 2 incase one of the batteries go flat).

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
I have an ehiem rusting away somewhere, i always had issues with it clogging, do you do anything specific to stop it doing that?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Nope. Never had an issue. Are you talking about the single feeder? And what pellets are you using?