Tank Journal Archive

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Put a little bit of prawn in to see if the snails wanted a snack. One immediately started searching, but went the wrong way.
Put the tip of his siphon on the tip of a heliofungia tentacle and got stuck :( . Immediately retracted into his shell, an I had to un-stick him. Hopefully he'll learn fast... :rolleyes

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
I had the frags below sent down from Cutting Edge Corals. This is the first shipment of corals I've got from anywhere, but I was pretty pleased with the parcel.
Came with a heatpack at no extra charge, all frags had bubble wrap loosely rubber-banded around the frag plug, and all double bagged and placed in a foam box.
It hit sub-zero temps at the delivery point last night. When the corals arrived early in the morning, the water was at about 18.5°C and the heatpack was sitting at 21.5°C (after corals were taken out and damp paper removed, heatpack continued to rise in temp and was still sitting around 26° tonight - pretty good really).

Photos taken about an hour after temporarily placing them in the bottom of the tank.

Pink birdsnest, under white and actinic:
IMG_0140_2.JPG
IMG_0134_DPP.JPG

Pink millepora
IMG_0138_2.JPG
IMG_0129_DPP.JPG

Dallas Acro?
IMG_0139_2.JPG
IMG_0132_DPP.JPG

Pink Pocci (only $3!)
IMG_0142_2.JPG
IMG_0136_DPP.JPG

I couldn't really fault the packaging, but the birdsnest had two small tips broken off and loose in the bottom of the bag.
I stuck them on an old frag tile I had - see what happens.
IMG_20130710_091306.jpg
IMG_0144_DPP.JPG

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
An interesting experiment in the efficiency at which the various scavengers in the tank can process uneaten food.
The DT is still currently fishless. Late the other night I secured about a 1cm cube of prawn meat on the substrate towards one end of the tank. Over the next few hours, the nassarius snails that were introduced that night didn't touch it as they were still settling in. They may have later though. Within a couple of minutes there were numerous amphipods on it, followed by bristleworms. I was going to fish out the leftover portion in the morning, but given its dramatic reduction in size and the critters still all over it,I decided to leave it until after work. It had completely gone before I got home.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Disassembled tank hood last night. The wiring was a real jumble behind the cover!
Removed one fluoro tube and electronic transformer. Mounted LED powersupplies inside and connected wiring through. Mounted some brackets for my LEDs from the old tank.
Just have to drill a couple of holes and attach led assembly to bracket now, and run fan wiring through. Wanted to get it finished, but with kid issues and not starting 'til late last night I figured I'd call it quits at 2:30AM.

Last edited:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
An interesting experiment in the efficiency at which the various scavengers in the tank can process uneaten food.
The DT is still currently fishless. Late the other night I secured about a 1cm cube of prawn meat on the substrate towards one end of the tank. Over the next few hours, the nassarius snails that were introduced that night didn't touch it as they were still settling in. They may have later though. Within a couple of minutes there were numerous amphipods on it, followed by bristleworms. I was going to fish out the leftover portion in the morning, but given its dramatic reduction in size and the critters still all over it,I decided to leave it until after work. It had completely gone before I got home.
That's awesome, has to be one of the best ways to keep a stable tank to have a crapload of CUC like that.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Hypo is over!
Hospital tank up to 33ppt. Took the clowns out to do the final acclimation to the DT water at 35 ppt yesterday. They seem to be enjoying their bigger, more interesting environment.

Quick mobile grab:
IMG_20130722_190813.jpg