Tank Journal Archive

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Brekel's Beginnings: 1200x600x360 Reef
Introduction:
I’m new to the forum and new to reefkeeping, so figured I’d start a journal to track my progress and get some (hopefully)helpful input and feedback from you more knowledgeable lot out there.

I helped my Dad with a freshwater tank when I was a kid, and about 11 years ago I had a small temperate tank with a few seahorses in it for a couple of years. I’ve been looking at getting a reef tank set up since then. About 9 years ago I bought a tank and stand, plus a few powerheads and accessories that were on special at the time. Then a couple of house moves and a variety of family circumstances lead to things being put on hold.
Now, I take the plunge…

Reefing Since: Now

System Objectives: To create an attractive living display in the house, to learn a lot, and to have heaps of fun sharing the experience with, and teaching, the kids. My 3.5 yo daughter already insists we look at a coral or fish book everynight for her bed time story:) , so the enthusiasm is catching! And if I throw a book on fish at my 7 yo, a few days later he’ll come back quoting various facts and scientific names, and quizzing me to test my knowledge!:rolleyes

Type of reef: Mixed reef.

Display System:
Initial Fill Date: It’s been about 1/3 full with live rock curing in the bottom for three weeks. The next time I get a few hours free I’ll add the sand, do the aquascaping, and fill it up properly.

Display Tank Dimensions: 1200 long x 600 high x 360 deep (4’x2’x14.5”).
I’d prefer a tank with about twice the depth, but that’s the one I’ve had in storage.

If all goes well and it ends up looking good, hopefully I’ll convince the other half of the benefits of a larger tank

Display Lighting: DIY LED

Stand: Stained pine cabinet

Hood or Rimless: Hood to match the cabinet

Sump Design: None yet, looking at options for adding one.

Filtration: 20kG live rock, Aquaone G216 skimmer (may need to upgrade this, see how it goes…)

Support systems:
NSW or ASW: NSW collected from Goats Beach.

Display Water circulation: Have a few Heto and Hagen powerheads. Would like to upgrade to a wavemaker though.

Return Pump: -

Skimmer: Aquaone G216

Evaporation Top Up: Currently manual, will be automating later

Chemical additions:
Calcium Addition: Haven’t tested calcium yet, but adding limewater to maintain alkalinity and pH.
Alkilinity Addition: Limewater

Magnesium Addition: None yet

Prodibiotics Addition: None yet

Coral Food Addition: None yet

The LR seems to be doing ok. Ammonia reached zero in about 8 days, with a 50% water change on day 3 when it hit around 4.0. Sat on 2 for 2 days, then halved every day after that. I was away for a few days, and Nitrites were zero when I got back.
There were still a few small patches of stuff dying off, but I guess the bacteria were keeping up with the rate of production of nasties.

I’ve built the basics of my LED light, although some more tweaks are on the way. A week ago it looked like I was starting to get the expected diatom bloom I’ve read about at one end of the tank that gets a bit of direct sunlight. I’ve had the LEDs running for the last 5 days, and the diatoms haven’t progressed but what I guess is green hair algae has taken off in patches the last few days. I'll have to get nitrate and phosphate test kits and keep an eye on the levels.

I’ve found a couple of tiny dead crabs and a couple of dead limpets, but there seems to be plenty of things alive in/on the rock.
I'll fill it up properly as soon as I can. In the mean time I'm tweaking the lights and observing the various life forms that appear from the rock.
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_fwrm2.JPG

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_IMG_5719.JPG

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_Zoanth.jpg

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_wrmsip.jpg

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_fwrm.JPG

Can anyone tell me what this is? A couple of days the surface was covered in green, almost fluorescent dots, but it wasn't the day I took the photo:
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_b2_gnthng.JPG

Some leafy algae coming back under the lights:
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_IMG_5743.JPG
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_IMG_5664.JPG

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Can anyone tell me if the red things below are a type of sponge? And if I should leave or get rid of them??
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_rdsp2.JPG

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_B2_RdBall.JPG

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_B2_RdSpng.JPG

I've also got some red, semi-transparent ball things that I don't know what they are, a larger one on the right plus a bunch of smaller, smoother ones:

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_B2_RdBble.JPG

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Wow that is seriously shallow!! Cant wait to see this progress :cool:

I know your pain trying to convince the better half but your on the right track getting the kids right into it. You ned to get her around to see a nice established tank too, getting mine along to see ken and jens tank at the vic get together has done wonders lol :p

Keep the updates coming and :welcome

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Actually 600 is the water depth, 360 is from front to back. I may have made that a bit confusing.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Haha fair enough then. I thought at least you don't have to worry about the lights at that depth a torch would have been strong enough ;)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
:welcome
The red things that you think are sponges are foraminiferans-are very primitve animals. Get different types- leave these alone=are fine in the tank

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
re the red ball things look up "red valonia" and see if these are what they are. I think most people would remove them but be careful not to break the ball as it contains lots of spores.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Thanks firebird - it looks very much like some pictures of red valonia/Botryocladia skottsbergii I found online thanks to your tip off. I think it's only on one rock, so I'll pull it out and carefully remove it. Based on she=imek's description, the big one looks like it's sexually mature, so I'll be carefull...

I wondered if the other things were foraminiferans, but I read that they were single celled animals so I thought these were too big. I guess cells can be big though.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Well, the coral sand is in and I'm playing with the aquascaping. Don't think I'm happy with it at the moment - not quite natural (especially once my wife pointed out that the top rock on the left looks like a kangaroo).

The LED lights are built and runing, but need a little bit of finishing off. They're made from 3 lengths of aluminium H-beam butted up against each other and a couple of angles on the sides - all available precut to 1m from Bunnings. A few short strips across the top, and internally in the bottom, holds it all together. Because the beams are butted up against each other the air is forced to flow through the formed channels and out the ends, maximising the cooling effect from the fan's airflow.

Undoing a few screws on the side angle lets you run cables through, mount sockets etc.

A couple of pics from the top, before fan grille mounted. Also, the wires will be shortly be run to a socket in the side so it can plug/unplug:

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5826.JPG
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5827.JPG

And the bottom:
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5829.JPG
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5831.JPG

The row on top is a repeating sequence of Royal Blue - 10,000K White - Royal Blue - 6,500K White.
The bottom is 6,500K - Violet (420 nm) - 10,000K - Royal Blue.

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5832.JPG

In the middle I've added 2 cyan, 2 660nm red, and 2 extra royal blue.
(The red without optics hits the other lenses and makes the blues in this shot look more violet in the photo)

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5839.JPG

I've got a few shots of it over the tank, but these will have to wait until later.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
And the shots over the tank, with just the sand and rock.

All lights on full:
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5851.JPG

With royal blue backed off to maybe 75%:
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5852.JPG

With whites, reds, cyan + 2x RB on full, remaining RB off:
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5857.JPG

As above, with rest of royal blue at around 75%
abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_diy_leds_IMG_5859.JPG

All shots were taken with the same white balance setting for better comparison. The full tank shot without the royal blues seemed to appear a little more yellow in real life, or maybe it was just my minds interpretation after adapting to the bluer scene.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
The 3rd pic to me looks more natural but if its more yellow in life it might not look so good, just my view as I havent even added saltwater to a tank yet :-)

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
Yeah, to the eye the views with all lights on were significantly less blue/purple than what the photos appear. I'll adjust the colour valance later to more acutely reflect how it appears.

Brekel

Jun 8, 2012
Hobart
I'm on a tight budget, as you'll see as the tank progresses, so they're from Aquastyle online. The whites & royal blues are Bridgelux, reds are Epileds, and their site doesn't say what the cyan or violet are. Forked out a little extra for the mean well drivers, so that down the track I'll build a PIC controller to program in dimming cycles.

The kangaroo is sitting on top of the flat rock on the left hand pile. Head to the right, complete with ears and snout, front paws below leaning on the other rock sticking up. Back slopes down towards left, tail is broken off. Hind feet tucked up underneath.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Ahh, gotcha now!, may not be natural but it's kinda cool for an Aussie tank you have to admit. :cool:

Nothing wrong with being on a tight budget, we all been there lol. It's quite interesting seeing what people come up with, find online or adapt to do the job. If a JVP wave thingy moves the water around your tank the same as a Tunze or a Eco-tech, whats the problem I say lol. Very easy to upgrade when the time is right. :)

Keep posting dem pics mate.

V

'vspec'

abrettkelly.customer.netspace.net.au_Images_Reefuge_b2_gnthng.JPG

To me it looks like a squirt colony ~ did we get a positive ID?

Welcome to the reefuge @ Brekel
Your hardscape / aquascape looks sweet dude, very distinct.
Its great to see new faces, and on top of that will be interesting to see how you run a marine tank. .

Tell me something fellow reefing buddy, how did you find our aquarium forum ?