Tank Journal Archive

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
ahhh cyano! I've heard all about it but havnt had a problem with it until now! bugger. Im guessing a big water change and maybe less light hours? Any other ideas/suggestions

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Also started to think about the tank - do I want to continue it in the class next year. The Kids love it and it has been very helpful in so many lessons - however it is a lot of work. Im thinking of maybe downsizing - i know the work load is less with a smaller tank as it is less stable but it does mean less water/product/cleaning area. I would love to get a 2 foot cube - if anyone has one they are selling/ would like to swap for a 4 foot - let me know ;)

brendore

Oct 4, 2011
Port Macquarie, NSW, AUS
U should look at an RSM 250, great sized tank, all-in-one system, same volume, but smaller size (I actually think there is one for sale in the sell/buy/trade section, could ask for a donation off the owner ;)) .. Best remedy for cyano is water changes and a phosphate media, like rowaphos or something similar.. Have u checked your phos reading lately? What are they if you have...

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Alright - after a long and very careful think - i am going to continue the tank next year and ill keep this size. I have been a bit slack in the upkeep and really need to put in some effort to bring it back to its best. Unfortunatly i just recieved the news that my classroom is moving downstairs andso i need to move the tank in the next day or so - not fun :(

I am still working for some extra equipment and hopefully will be able to add a sump in the move! I have a spare tank at home that would fit and just need to add some section panels. I also need to get a new elbow for my chiller as the last one broke and water poured out all over the fresh new carpet!

This list is more for my thinking so ignore it if your bored-

So the plan is:

- move tank
- make and add sump
- drill hole in tank for sump (AHHHHHHHHH)
- add new live sand
- get ro unit and stop buying it from the lfs
- get new pump as a return from sump
- get auto top off unit
- hopefully get a dosing pump but i doubt it!

If anyone has any of these thing to sell cheap/donate let me know. Especially the sump/pump - haha

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
also - just to add one more thing - what size piping should i use to run from the overflow down to the sump and what size hole should be drilled in the tank?

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
I have a corner box siliconed in and so it will overflow into the corner box and then down the hole which i will be drilling soon. Just a matter of getting it in now!

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Long overdue Update:

Most of my corals - although small- have been nibbled by a fish/critter in the tank and have all passed on :( I have also had a break out of cyano and am in the process of doing some large water changes to hopefully get rid of the dreaded ugly stuff! I have scraped it all off the glass and rocks and it just keeps coming back and covers the rocks. I have adjusted my hours of light down to 10 hours and am feeding less food - any other ideas that i should be trying? All levels seem in check although my salinity is a little high so i need to adjust that with some ro water.

Is it worth trying a checmical to fight the cyano? I am trying to get some good maintanence going after being a bit lazy these holidays - but the tank needs to be ready for the kids in 2 weeks! If anybody local has any frags they want to send my way they would be very well recieved! haha. :)

Another question for the experts - my anemone has changed colour. If you look at previous picutres, it was a pinkish colour and now is a bleeched white with pink tips. Is this a natural colour change or a sign he is not happy?
ai1094.photobucket.com_albums_i441_marineclass_2011_12_16130924.jpg

The other objective is to get a sump on - this has been on the list for a long time but i just havnt been able to get a hold of one. So i need to build one which is easy to do when i find some time - but then i need to work out a plumbing rig! Time to start moving! If anybody has a sump they wish to donate or sell around the Gold Coast - let me know. Doesnt matter the condition. It needs to be around 3 foot to fit under the cabinate of a 4x18x18.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
nem definitely not happy -is bleached-How often are you feeding it?
-now needs daily feeding-also watch that the clowns aren't annoying it.Can take a year to recover and needs TLC.Did you do any recent light changes-can also do this from "photo shock"
is the mouth gaping?
re cyano-it looks like you're doing the right things-ie reduce feeding/light and look at your water flow. Don't know of any chemical to stop it.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
If you do a search on keeping bleached nems... its not easy but there are ways/techniques that can make it easier. It might be a bit of a challenge but would be good for the kids to learn how zooxanthellae work with/in coral and their allies!

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Last night i came into the class to have a look at the tank in the dark - I've never really been able to watch it at night and thought it would e a fun experience. I found these snails???? all over the glass - probably 20 of them ranging from 1mm to 10mm long. Does anybody know what these are? They have obviously bred but i didn't introduce them - must have come on the live rock or in the live sandbed i put in a few months ago. They dont have a shell but still look like a snail
ai1094.photobucket.com_albums_i441_marineclass_2012_02_08192439.jpg

I know the pic isnt very good but it was hard while it was so dark.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Stomatella-do have a very small shell that is very flat on the back-have the same in my tanks. Are good guys to have-you are lucky

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I am over-run with these guys in my tanks! Glad to hear that they are ok... I thought they were fine as they are always grazing on algae and I havent seen them on any corals!

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
yea they do have a small flat shell - i had a better look this morning - im glad they are a good member of the tank becuase there is plenty of them:)

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Hes doing alright - not a lot of colour yet but he is eating a lot easier and his arms are getting longer each day. I was force feeding him at first and now he is reaching out for food as it come into the tank...illl keep feeding him daily and hopefully colour will be back soon!

The auto feeder is great for the tank on the holidays - but it means i ignore the nem more than i should and only feed him once a week. Next holidays i will have to be more disciplined!

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
cyano is still killing me! Im tempted to try a chemical algae after doing numerous large water changes. After a period of elimination i think one problem could be the old t5 globes - I have had them in there for a year which is too long - but i dont know how long the person who donated the light had them in. The reason i havnt had them replaced is becuase i have leds ready to go onto the tank but i am wiating for them to be cleared by an electrician before setting them up...hopefully wont be too much longer and i can get new lights and cyano under control!