Tank Journal Archive

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Hey guys.. Just a small update on my newest addition. I'm slowly adding strictly nice and colour popping corals to the nano cube.. This is also my first chalice.. It's a solid red.. Whether it's nice to the majority.. I reckon it's a crazy piece. :)

image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
I think that's one of the only chalices that has really impressed me! That's wicked mate!!
Wow really? This is my first chalice.. So I'm curious to see what other solid bold bright colours.. There is.. I've seen a lot of mixed ones.. With weird shapes..

This one is like really nicely encrusted onto the rock.. With round edges.. Also the other end.. It's sorta plating outwards.. So I suppose it'd continue to plate.

:) :) :)

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Wow really? This is my first chalice.. So I'm curious to see what other solid bold bright colours.. There is.. I've seen a lot of mixed ones.. With weird shapes..

This one is like really nicely encrusted onto the rock.. With round edges.. Also the other end.. It's sorta plating outwards.. So I suppose it'd continue to plate.

:) :) :)
Yeah mate! There's a couple of reefing love's that I don't really see the fuss over (tangs are the other one) but that is one heck of a chalice!! The fact that it's solid red has me really impressed!! One of very few solid colours I've seen around too (including US sites).
It's a great piece too, nice and healthy and happy! It does look like it needs a bit of a feed though, looking a little thin in places but with some care that I'm sure you'll hand to it, it'll be happy as a clam in no time!! Definitely an A-grade, ultra, super-batman coral :p

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Yeah mate! There's a couple of reefing love's that I don't really see the fuss over (tangs are the other one) but that is one heck of a chalice!! The fact that it's solid red has me really impressed!! One of very few solid colours I've seen around too (including US sites).
It's a great piece too, nice and healthy and happy! It does look like it needs a bit of a feed though, looking a little thin in places but with some care that I'm sure you'll hand to it, it'll be happy as a clam in no time!! Definitely an A-grade, ultra, super-batman coral :p
I love red corals so lol.. Before it was opened up.. I just took the bag and left it in my car!!! Well first dibs when you come to the shop after hours man!

Yeah I've hardly seen any bright solid colours around.. Note we've got a few chalices at the store aswells. I've read my fair share on these guys.. I suppose I treat them like sps.. Decent lighting with moderate flow.. Yeah it's looking abit unhappy as I dipped him.. Cleaned the macro off it and then placed it slightly under the water to take this picture..

I'm hoping it takes a good liking to the amino acids and other coral foods I have to offer it.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I love red corals so lol.. Before it was opened up.. I just took the bag and left it in my car!!! Well first dibs when you come to the shop after hours man!

Yeah I've hardly seen any bright solid colours around.. Note we've got a few chalices at the store aswells. I've read my fair share on these guys.. I suppose I treat them like sps.. Decent lighting with moderate flow.. Yeah it's looking abit unhappy as I dipped him.. Cleaned the macro off it and then placed it slightly under the water to take this picture..

I'm hoping it takes a good liking to the amino acids and other coral foods I have to offer it.
I'm sure it'll be awesome in no time at all!! (not that it isn't already ;) )

One thing to note though, chalice are low light corals so I wouldn't be putting the beauty up too high!! :) If you want to find some good info on care there's a thread on R2R as they're friggin nuts on them over there at the moment!

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Just a quick snap of my favourite sps piece. A blue/teal stag which has gotten some nice colour. Crazy how the comboray is doing such a great job of bringing out the colour and maintaining the growth within my sps. Only a 24watt unit.. Goes to show you don't need crazy intense lighting lighting for sps..

Also a shot of my favourite and only zoanthid species.. Hopefully to add some more but only really bright stuff.. Don't want no common dull stuff in this tank. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
BY FAR MY FAVOURITE ADDITION AND UPDATE!!

So.. Got my hands on the first true naked occellaris in Australia. By far my favourite clownfish species along with the solid midnight occellaris clownfish. I'll be aiming to pair this one up with a solid midnight in the future. But at this moment.. I'll just leave this here.

image.jpg

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Got some real nice goodies today thanks to a friend on opposite sides of the country. Fairly new to keeping and collecting chalice corals.. But god damn.. The red with 3 other colours is top notch.. And the green with orange has a nice contrast.

image.jpg

image.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
You're getting some nice corals in your collection :worship

I'm normally not a fan of some of the 'designer' clowns but the naked occi doesn't look too bad - be aware that a clown by itself tends to tun into a female ;)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
You're getting some nice corals in your collection :worship

I'm normally not a fan of some of the 'designer' clowns but the naked occi doesn't look too bad - be aware that a clown by itself tends to tun into a female ;)
Yeah dude, getting some nice encrusting lps type corals. Really digging chalices.. I like their growth form as I'm not the biggest fan of swaying lps corals.

The chalice with 4 colours.. Is unreal.. The mother piece got exported to the US and man is it worth a big buck over there..

I'd always love the naked clowns, waited two years for these to come by.. Also simply because they're unique and no one has them.. My next clown will be the solid midnight one.. A pair of occellaris without any markings. :)

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
It's been a while since I've last updated my tank here. Just finished doing my weekly 50% water change and decided to take a top down photo of my tank with the vortech off. He tanks spotless and always clean. Running barebottom has it's perks.. I do leave the sides and back wall sometimes for the snails.. As cleaning it completely.. Left my snails to starve and die.. (Got like 4 turbo snails left)

Several things have changed.. In terms of livestock and coral.. I have a heap of frags on the bottom (all on round tiles because of my OCD) just ricordeas, rhodactis, some zoas and blue sympodium frags.

As for fish.. The only fish I've got left inside the tank is my single naked clown.. I've also got left my male porcelain crab and a peppermint shrimp trio.

image.jpg

Here's a shot of my favourite piece in the tank under some more blue lighting. Along side to the left my new acquire frag which my friend gave me. Don't know how it'd go.. But I guess you'll hear about it next update. :)

image.jpg