Tank Journal Archive

ezza

Sep 17, 2017
Wellington, NZ
Sam,
many thanks. I have been trying to get this sort of feedback, and will keep reading, asking, to be able to pull the trigger on a final set up.
I was able to get 2 IBCs of new water the last 2 nights, and one more I hope tinight, so we may be in a position to do a big water change on Friday evening or Saturday. The plan is to do at least 60% water change, and that should tell us how bad the leaching is. I hope after more than 3 weeks soaking, we have seen the worst of it.
Yep, I do have a lan B ready - I used fiberglass rods and silicon to gradually glue together 4 of the Fiji rocks we used for the aquascape, into a 600mm long stepped ledge. It could replace the driftwood over the drop off, but Zi will need to re-position a few base rocks to weigh down and anchor this cantelever.

Jac
Jac, your aquarium is amazing! What an extraordinary addition to a home. Your house is lovely too!!

I was reading about some different LEDs and came across Orphek. Their Atlantik 4 seems to be quite exceptional for its size and price. It’s $899 US ($1100-ish AUD).

https://orphek.com/

They make lights for large aquariums and they seem to do the job.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Hi,
I am 7 weeks into the cycle. The brown diatom seems to have started to reduce, especially since I introduced the first fish , amongst them some Tangs - Powder Brown, Mimic and Naso. The 15mm long strands of Algae that started to form on the driftwood branch, have been eaten clean :cum
The water parameters have stabalised with Amonia under 0,25, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate at 2~4 ppm.
I have noticed the appearance of a pink Algae along the sand line.
Is this a natural progression, or something I need to be concerned about ?

Jac

Attachments

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Jac, your aquarium is amazing! What an extraordinary addition to a home. Your house is lovely too!!

I was reading about some different LEDs and came across Orphek. Their Atlantik 4 seems to be quite exceptional for its size and price. It’s $899 US ($1100-ish AUD).

https://orphek.com/

They make lights for large aquariums and they seem to do the job.
Hi Ezza,
sorry, but I just saw your post now.
I have waited many years to get back into a marine tank, and sure hope it is all going to be worth the time, money and effort that has gone into it so far.
Thanks for the pointer on the lights - I will check them out.

Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks... good to hear mate. We are nearly 8 weeks into the cycle, and had I used Live rock, I would feel far more comfortable. I visited a LFS in Brisbane 2 weeks ago, and he had some live rock on sale. I am thinking to see if he still has any decent quality pieces, and get them, even if just to seed my rock set up.
It is my birthday on the 30th. and my wife wants to but me our first coral for my gift. Provided i get some lights up by then, do you think the system is ready to take it ?

Jac

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks Buddy. All the set up and equipment is only worth it if we can create something special. Trying to finalize the critical issue of choice of lights, then a bit more of that nasty thing called "patience" and then decide on which will be the first corals to add. We have been at this for over a year now, so the patience part is wearing thin..
Jac

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Just be weary Jac, big tanks have big cycles and big fails. Every tank has the odd fail now and then, don't let it get you down when (note when, not if) it happens.

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Thanks Sam... think we have all been there - not pleasant, and that is why i am trying to keep myself in check this far. My water parameters have been (suprisingly) stable for weeks now, with low Amonia readings ( approx. 2.5ppm, Ni nearly zero, Na a steady 0,25 or lower.
Its encouraging, but have held back with the initial fish remaining, and no corals yet.

BTW - if you get a chance, could you reply to my posts on LIGHTS.
Tks
Jac