Tank Journal Archive

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Diy Skimmer And Impeller Mod
I had a little time on my hands today and ticked another thing off the list :)
I decided to change the pump in my skimmer over to a DC pump because the skimmer is by far the loudest piece of equipment on my tank. Of course, this was to be done as cheaply as possible!
I could have just gone and got a new RLSS or Coralbox skimmer but my skimmer is a good design an has nothing wrong with it. It is a Bubble Magus BM220 CS2 and rated to 1200L - 1700L.

I decided that the best pump to use was a Jebao DC6000, as I have had a DC12000 as my return pump for the last year or so with no problems at all. The only problem is that the Jebao pump does not have a needle wheel option.
I looked in to the Waveline DC pumps but its about $200 more for the same output, but these come with a needle wheel impeller. Unfortunately the Waveline impeller has slightly different mounting holes so it won't fit the Jebao pump.

So the first thing to do was to design a needle wheel impeller that would fit the Jebao pump.
Here is the original impeller.

Pump1.jpg

I designed an impeller that fitted within the dimensions of the original one so I wouldn't have to worry about it hitting the pump housing. I added a ring on the outer needles to add a bit of strength.
I also made up a little spacer so it would match the back of the original impeller.

Impeller Design.jpg

I sent the .STL file over to @Rob and he was kind enough to print out the impeller for me :worship
Here is the original and new impellers next to each other.
Impellers.jpg

The new impeller mounted on the pump. (I broke one of the needles off :p)
Pump2.jpg

Next job was to get the new pump mounted in the skimmer. Here is what the skimmer looked like with the original pump.
Skimmer1.jpg

The new pump is quite a bit smaller.
Skimmer2.jpg

The diffuser was originally held down with a threaded nut but I only had a barbed fitting on the new pump, so I just used a couple of cable ties to hold it down. The ties fitted between the base of the diffuser and the barbs on the fitting so its nice and tight.
Skimmer3.jpg

Skimmer4.jpg

Next was to fit the venturi fitting. On the old pump, it was just a push fit directly on to the pump housing.
The new pump has a much larger opening, so I put a barbed fitting on to it to make it smaller. After that I put a small section over the barbed fitting and then the venturi fitted over the tube.
I will probably have a think about this part to make a more permanent fitting.
Skimmer5.jpg

A view down the neck of the skimmer.
Skimmer6.jpg

Finished and all back together.
Skimmer7.jpg

Skimmer running in the sump.
skimmerfull.jpg

The difference in sound levels. I used a decibel meter on my phone. It probably isn't accurate but it gives a good indicator on how much difference there is. I can't hear the skimmer unless my cabinet is open now, super happy!
beforeafter.jpg

A little while ago I also added a failsafe to the skimmer in case it overflows. @Sam Parker made me a device with some float swtiches. It will turn off the skimmer if the sump water level gets high, the cup starts to over flow or the skimmate container gets full. No more skimmate getting dumped back in to my tank! :D

Attachments

Last edited:
E

ezza

I am so impressed! Can I trade my husband in for you?! I am just totally astonished at the gifts people on this forum have. The enterprising 1337 MacGyver skillz are just amazing.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Loving the DIY - so easy to buy it off the shelf but surely more satisfying to DIY.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Would you say it is working same, better or (hopefully not) worse)?
When I first ran the new pump I had the skimmer tuned to max and the pump on full power. The bubbles only came to about halfway up the neck, but I had given the skimmer a good clean.
I came back an hour later to an overflowing cup! I have the skimmer tuned to about half and the pump on half power and the bubbles are just below the rim of the neck now and staying steady :)
I can actually hear the bubbles foaming now instead of the low vibration/drone of the pump.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
When I first ran the new pump I had the skimmer tuned to max and the pump on full power. The bubbles only came to about halfway up the neck, but I had given the skimmer a good clean.
I came back an hour later to an overflowing cup! I have the skimmer tuned to about half and the pump on half power and the bubbles are just below the rim of the neck now and staying steady :)
I can actually hear the bubbles foaming now instead of the low vibration/drone of the pump.
I hope you had not fitted the float switch to the skimmer control box at this time, as it should have turned off before your cup overflowed?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I hope you had not fitted the float switch to the skimmer control box at this time, as it should have turned off before your cup overflowed?
Correct :) I just let the skimmer do its thing for a while as it was only going to overflow clean water anyway.
I connected all the float switches and skimmate container back up this morning.

I had a little time on my hands today and ticked another thing off the list :)
I decided to change the pump in my skimmer over to a DC pump because the skimmer is by far the loudest piece of equipment on my tank. Of course, this was to be done as cheaply as possible!
I could have just gone and got a new RLSS or Coralbox skimmer but my skimmer is a good design an has nothing wrong with it. It is a Bubble Magus BM220 CS2 and rated to 1200L - 1700L.

I decided that the best pump to use was a Jebao DC6000, as I have had a DC12000 as my return pump for the last year or so with no problems at all. The only problem is that the Jebao pump does not have a needle wheel option.
I looked in to the Waveline DC pumps but its about $200 more for the same output, but these come with a needle wheel impeller. Unfortunately the Waveline impeller has slightly different mounting holes so it won't fit the Jebao pump.

So the first thing to do was to design a needle wheel impeller that would fit the Jebao pump.
Here is the original impeller.

View attachment 50779

I designed an impeller that fitted within the dimensions of the original one so I wouldn't have to worry about it hitting the pump housing. I added a ring on the outer needles to add a bit of strength.
I also made up a little spacer so it would match the back of the original impeller.

View attachment 50777

I sent the .STL file over to @Rob and he was kind enough to print out the impeller for me :worship
Here is the original and new impellers next to each other.
View attachment 50778

The new impeller mounted on the pump. (I broke one of the needles off :p)
View attachment 50788

Next job was to get the new pump mounted in the skimmer. Here is what the skimmer looked like with the original pump.
View attachment 50789
The new pump is quite a bit smaller.
View attachment 50790
The diffuser was originally held down with a threaded nut but I only had a barbed fitting on the new pump, so I just used a couple of cable ties to hold it down. The ties fitted between the base of the diffuser and the barbs on the fitting so its nice and tight.
View attachment 50791
View attachment 50792
Next was to fit the venturi fitting. On the old pump, it was just a push fit directly on to the pump housing.
The new pump has a much larger opening, so I put a barbed fitting on to it to make it smaller. After that I put a small section over the barbed fitting and then the venturi fitted over the tube.
I will probably have a think about this part to make a more permanent fitting.
View attachment 50793

A view down the neck of the skimmer.
View attachment 50794
Finished and all back together.
View attachment 50795

Skimmer running in the sump.
View attachment 50798

The difference in sound levels. I used a decibel meter on my phone. It probably isn't accurate but it gives a good indicator on how much difference there is. I can't hear the skimmer unless my cabinet is open now, super happy!
View attachment 50799

A little while ago I also added a failsafe to the skimmer in case it overflows. @Sam Parker made me a device with some float swtiches. It will turn off the skimmer if the sump water level gets high, the cup starts to over flow or the skimmate container gets full. No more skimmate getting dumped back in to my tank! :D
Absolutely fantastic job mate!!

Ben S

Apr 9, 2013
Point Cook
Great job .... I wish I could have done something like this .... my Waveline pump died and I thought I could retro fit the jebao. Unfortunately the fittings were different as you discovered and I ended up having to purchase another waveline pump for 3 x the cost of the Jebao.

You should look to market the needle wheels as there is no-one doing them ... believe me I looked and fishstreet wouldn't sell me one either,

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Great job .... I wish I could have done something like this .... my Waveline pump died and I thought I could retro fit the jebao. Unfortunately the fittings were different as you discovered and I ended up having to purchase another waveline pump for 3 x the cost of the Jebao.

You should look to market the needle wheels as there is no-one doing them ... believe me I looked and fishstreet wouldn't sell me one either,
Fishstreet said that only their pumps up to DC4000 had needlewheels and you can only buy the pumps with a skimmer anyway.
I don't think I will go as far as marketing these as it was just a little on-off project but I am sure if anyone else needed one then something could probably be arranged.
I will probably make a version 2 of the impeller with a couple of little tweaks.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thats a pretty interesting looking impeller! Do they have any reasoning behind that design at all?
I could give it a go for sure.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
This is what they say anyway:

"The one thing that you can’t see in the photo is a new unidirectional needle wheel inside the controllable Waveline DC 2500 pump. We wrote about the unidirectional needle wheel years ago when Warner Marine was investigating the concept. RLSS’s design actually appears to be a combination of a needle wheel and a traditional impeller which also happens to be unidirectional for improved head pressure, an important feature for such a small water pump."

Looks to be a way of getting more flow from smaller pumps whilst still getting enough air bubbles.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hmm I wonder if it's necessary for a dc6000?
I also notice that a lot of impellers have holes in the base and the pins taper off at the top. I'm not sure if this is to make it more effective or to save on materials?